Revell 1/32 P-51D-5NA Mustang

Nikola Topalov

Next, the fuselage buttoned up. The fit is very good and it all went together without any fuss, except that the top part of the fuselage required some extra pressure. Good engineering by Radu Brinzan.

54wSxTn.jpg

WzBH5mt.jpg

Z00igdG.jpg

V5F7i7J.jpg

SFIcBvT.jpg

1hvsj6y.jpg

5g5uoux.jpg

zjOzv3n.jpg

r1dRSR8.jpg

gbUYdUP.jpg

1EcxRr1.jpg

Edited by Nikola Topalov

Wings are on, as well as the rudder, horizontal stabilizers, elevators and ailerons.

Wheel well is mostly finished with some touch ups and details to be done, but that's basically that, OOB.

The fit is very good, but I must say that the wings required some persuasion to fit in place since I had to do slight sanding and hard pushing in place (very tight fit). This is as close as I could get it. Some sandpaper will finish the job. 

The engineering of the stabilizer connection is interesting as they interlock between each other within the connection to the fuselage (pics below). Basically, there was no aligning required, although I think that the left stabilizer is off by a hairline. Not sure. I couldn't do anything about it though.

Thanks for looking!

Best,

Nikola

NmfxW80.jpg

ZVdtSQk.jpg

R0tIzMM.jpg

ApObV1V.jpg

wjWzsyb.jpg

zUg6KTF.jpg

GU9j4ml.jpg

efOyYbi.jpg

stgTqhV.jpg

YCzAont.jpg

2PPJhhS.jpg

eOsKedB.jpg

Hi gents,

Here I just want to share a small tip about tackling a slight canopy misalignment with those who are yet to build this one. I am generally not happy with the quality of the clear parts. Among some other issues, the windshield is slightly deformed meaning that it is slightly narrower that the fuselage and shorter by a millimetre (another fellow modeller had the same problem). The bubble canopy has deformations within the ''plexiglass'' part (I will post some pics later).

I couldn't avoid the gap between the windshield and the cowling but regarding the joint with the fuselage luckily there is a way to keep filling and sanding to a minimum as there is space to insert a piece of toothpick fixed with CA which will not be seen later and keep the windshield at the proper width until glued to the canopy:

wgVYLtS.jpg

98rcea9.jpg

dxGocEz.jpg

YbuNDmW.jpg

D2KZt4j.jpg

fqugnCt.jpg

NFouBti.jpg

Edited by Nikola Topalov

She is finally ready for priming! :)

I had to do some windshield-cowling gap filling, and panel line and tire threads re-scribing, added some rivets where I thought appropriate...

I will go with white Tamiya Liquid Primer or white Mr. Finishing Surfacer 1500, followed by desert yellow shades, my complementary pre-shading using various reds and aluminium where appropriate for future chipping. Then goes the OD base coat. I chose to go with white primer since it will require less coats to achieve good OD coverage without it looking too dark.

Best,

Nikola

wVbUAxk.jpg

CGfP0L7.jpg

JMob4eG.jpg

piSep0o.jpg

dthdGnQ.jpg

7FFxzHi.jpg

FHMegok.jpg

o3BjQ7S.jpg

KdPpBtx.jpg

LB5uUdF.jpg

pYdBVDv.jpg

r24Vo2K.jpg

xBwXUOR.jpg

HehoxA9.jpg

Well, here is some contradictory information for you:

The painting instructions say that the checkered pattern only goes to the front end of the exhaust stack:

Ru1Wd7r.jpg

The decal disagrees since it has a cutout to go around the stack past the front end of it:

UYopum1.jpg

And if I see it correctly the truth is somewhere in the middle as the pattern only slightly goes past the stack front end:

IB11pni.jpg

VgILNvH.jpg

So, I painted the nose yellow and will either bite the bullet and paint the damn thing or cut out only the red squares of the decal and apply them to the painted yellow (this should make the decal easier to conform to the shape as well. I'll see.

NfcXuMx.jpg

OD finished.

The hardest part for me now with my complementary pre-shading method is judging how much to cover initially knowing that weathering and subsequent coats will affect it. It's just like regular pre-shading only more difficult because if it is with black, no risk of too much of it showing through since it only gives a darker tone of the base color with no hue modulation. Still long way to go until I master this one.

Best,

Nikola

WkVEHgn.jpg

l1MI8zs.jpg

CpqA93a.jpg

V9gwLq6.jpg

rGL1Apm.jpg

Edited by Nikola Topalov

Invasion stripes done, with some test weathering just for fun at the wing and horizontal stabilizer tips. :)

Next is masking and painting the checkered pattern on the nose which is going to be a b&#ch.

T4mCJ0Q.jpg

bP9yfkH.jpg

HO5K8XA.jpg

eHHQ5Vv.jpg

wVJ9Mxj.jpg

Y8RUfQ1.jpg

2ogR3n4.jpg

Stripes before test weathering:

zYwbfsD.jpg

Edited by Nikola Topalov