1/32 Modified Zoukei Mura Do-335 B-2

curiouslysophie

Thank you for your lovely comments! I’m just glad it doesn’t look like a dog’s dinner!

20 minutes ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Nice work so far, Sophie.  I really like your detail work in the nose wheel well.  :thumbsup:  I've just started my A-12, but I think you'll finish yours long before me.  Have you planned to add any weight to this to keep it off it's tail?

Cheers,

Michael

Thank you! Most of the detail was part of the kit if I’m honest. I just painted and weathered it. I do have some super-detailing plans though. I have added some of Deluxe Material’s Liquid Gravity to all the ammo boxes and as much as I could get into the front engine. I don’t know if it is enough yet. I want to mount this one to a base. So I might just put magnets in the wheels if misbehaves. It is a shame Zoukei Mura didn’t include a weight like they did with the 219.

On 11/21/2021 at 1:06 AM, curiouslysophie said:

Thank you for your lovely comments! I’m just glad it doesn’t look like a dog’s dinner!

Thank you! Most of the detail was part of the kit if I’m honest. I just painted and weathered it. I do have some super-detailing plans though. I have added some of Deluxe Material’s Liquid Gravity to all the ammo boxes and as much as I could get into the front engine. I don’t know if it is enough yet. I want to mount this one to a base. So I might just put magnets in the wheels if misbehaves. It is a shame Zoukei Mura didn’t include a weight like they did with the 219.

I haven't heard of Liquid Gravity, but I managed to find some online and have ordered it.  Thanks for letting me know about that product.  It looks like just the right thing for this model, as I think I'm going to be adding it to every nook and crevice forward of the main wheels.  A weight would have been good, but I think Z-M would have needed to provide more than one.

One other thing that Z-M have missed is the left side canopy release.  There should be a part matching H24 on the left side, but I can't see it in the instructions.  Might have to make one.  They're a bit obvious :D.

Cheers,

Michael

1 hour ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

I haven't heard of Liquid Gravity, but I managed to find some online and have ordered it.  Thanks for letting me know about that product.  It looks like just the right thing for this model, as I think I'm going to be adding it to every nook and crevice forward of the main wheels.  A weight would have been good, but I think Z-M would have needed to provide more than one.

One other thing that Z-M have missed is the left side canopy release.  There should be a part matching H24 on the left side, but I can't see it in the instructions.  Might have to make one.  They're a bit obvious :D.

Cheers,

Michael

I only found out about the Liquid Gravity just before this project. Would’ve been very hand in previous aircraft!

I believe the other release is there on part H31 which gets mounted directly to the left fuselage side. I believe some details do need to be added to the canopy edges though. I want to hinge the canopy though, so I’ll have to see what can be added.

Superb progress Sophie and particularly timely as i am currently building the HK version of this very beast. 

HK have thought about the nose weight issue ahead of time as they have included a weight that fits perfectly inside the front engine halves with a second that sits neatly behind the engine firewall and in front of the cockpit tub.

The detail in the HK kit is obviously less than the ZM offering but that said the fit is superb. Rather than take the limelight off your build ill likely post photos of the finished article on completion. 

P.S I too have gone with RLM 02 wheelbays and bomb bay after i started colouring with RLM 66. dont ask me why.

Edited by Phartycr0c

15 minutes ago, Phartycr0c said:

Superb progress Sophie and particularly timely as i am currently building the HK version of this very beast. 

HK have thought about the nose weight issue ahead of time as they have included a weight that fits perfectly inside the front engine halves with a second that sits neatly behind the engine firewall and in front of the cockpit tub.

The detail in the HK kit is obviously less than the ZM offering but that said the fit is superb. Rather than take the limelight off your build ill likely post photos of the finished article on completion. 

P.S I too have gone with RLM 02 wheelbays and bomb bay after i started colouring with RLM 66. dont ask me why.

Thank you! I did look at the HK kit, but I just love the Zoukei Mura kits. That HK method is good! There isn’t a large amount of space in the Zoukei Mura kit for weight. I may do some mods to add more.

You should post your build! It seems there are a couple of 335’s on the go so it’ll be nice to see what each other’s builds do, a bit like a mini group build!

I like the RLM 02, give it more of a production feel for the ‘what-if’ I want to build. Are you going for a historical paint scheme on your one?

10 hours ago, curiouslysophie said:

I only found out about the Liquid Gravity just before this project. Would’ve been very hand in previous aircraft!

I believe the other release is there on part H31 which gets mounted directly to the left fuselage side. I believe some details do need to be added to the canopy edges though. I want to hinge the canopy though, so I’ll have to see what can be added.

Yes, I would have loved to have had some Liquid Gravity when I did my Kitty Hawk P-39.  It may have saved me bashing at lead weights :lol:.  Speaking of the P-39, I made the doors hinge on that, so you may want to take a look at that build for ideas.  Hopefully, you'll improve on my efforts.  I plan on building hinges for both canopies and probably the engine cowlings as well.

You asked about the Z-M metal undercarriage legs in my build thread.  They are indeed white metal.  The casting seems quite good, but I'm not sure about the nosewheel leg scissors.   I took a picture earlier today, so here's what you get.

maeIrB.jpg

As you can see, you'll still need to use parts from the kit to complete them, but I think that they'll still be sturdier than the plastic parts in the kit.  Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Michael

7 minutes ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Yes, I would have loved to have had some Liquid Gravity when I did my Kitty Hawk P-39.  It may have saved me bashing at lead weights :lol:.  Speaking of the P-39, I made the doors hinge on that, so you may want to take a look at that build for ideas.  Hopefully, you'll improve on my efforts.  I plan on building hinges for both canopies and probably the engine cowlings as well.

You asked about the Z-M metal undercarriage legs in my build thread.  They are indeed white metal.  The casting seems quite good, but I'm not sure about the nosewheel leg scissors.   I took a picture earlier today, so here's what you get.

maeIrB.jpg

As you can see, you'll still need to use parts from the kit to complete them, but I think that they'll still be sturdier than the plastic parts in the kit.  Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Michael

I will check out your thread! I have been looking at hinging the cowlings too. Not sure how to go about it yet.

Thanks for the picture and info on the landing gear! I might give it a go if I can find it anywhere. I think they might be out of production?

I only asked about them because I had the set for the He-219 and the casting was a bit rough and bent.

I will be modifying the front gear to take the later style larger nose wheel, at least I will once Reskit release their set!

I was following in religeous silence this work, really good cockpit, kudos.

what do you mean with "hinging the cowlings"?

you're looking a way to render these movable as in the real or just a way to let these accessible and stable in situ?