HD Colour film of Luftwaffe aircraft abandoned on Fritzlar Airfield, May 1945

Thought this might interest many of you, some excellent colour footage of abandoned Luftwaffe night fighters and the new tenants on the airfield, Typhoons of 247 Squadron.  

Apologies if this has appeared before. 

Fritzlar Airfield 1945 colour film

Edited by R Palimaka

• R Palimaka changed the title to Colour film of Fritzlar Airfield May 1945

Excellent video! 

Here are a couple of screen shots showing some interesting features on the Bf 109 G in in film.  The aircraft has red landing gear legs indicating the requirement for C3 fuel. The aircraft also has the late large wheel fairing on the upper wing, in combination with the early G tail feathers.

Also note that the port wing tip light cover is made of a red translucent material rather than the clear material most commonly seen.

51655241863_fce0a0c319_h.jpg

51655243128_ed578216ab_h.jpg

Edited by RBrown

• R Palimaka changed the title to HD Colour film of Luftwaffe aircraft abandoned on Fritzlar Airfield, May 1945
18 hours ago, adameliclem said:

Wow, that’s great stuff. Almost like the cameraman knew just what future modelers would like to see. Thanks for sharing it.

Adam

Haha! I thought the same thing, like he was recording details for modellers.

I was pleasantly surprised at the the clarity of the footage, and the fidelity of the colour.

Richard. 

31 minutes ago, Uncarina said:

I noted the wear on the wingroot, and on the three-bladed Typhoon. Amazing footage, and thanks for sharing this!

Cheers,  Tom

You’re welcome! I don’t build a lot of Luftwaffe aircraft, but the film was fascinating. 

I noticed too how filthy the rockets were on the Typhoon. Seemed odd. 

Richard

That film, other research that I've been recently involved in and reading Wilhem Johnen's autobiography "Duel under the Stars" makes me want to break out the Bf110G2 that I have in my stash to go along with my Bf110E and G4.  Beautiful aeroplane in my opinion. (these are not G2s of course but simply a lovely photograph!)

AJ3wKA.jpg

Edited by mozart

• 1 month later...