1/32 Phantom Belly Strengthening Straps

Anthony in NZ

Hi all

I hope this is in the right place.

Seems to me like there is some sort of market for these in 1/32 scale.  I know GT Resin sell them through Sprue bros and Nautilus Models sell them too.

However the issue is that for me to buy a GT one from Sprue is going to  cost me $65USD in shipping for a $17 dollar part.  Nautilus refunded me part of my money and sent me a copy of their instruction sheet only, which was totally of no use as there are plenty of drawings out there.

I could make one in plastic card, but I think the idea of having one drawn up on a file to use on a Silhouette cutter or something would be so much more useful for us all out there(not that I have a Silhouette cutter LOL) if made available?  Maybe a Silhouette cutter couldnt cut thick enough? There are so many Phantom kits out there that would benefit from having this  done (or similar)

Maybe 3D printing?  Maybe someone has a GT one for sale, or maybe I just make one myself?

Just seems to me there is an opportunity for all those Phantom builders to get some help?

Actually wasnt @Ali62 looking for ideas???  Ali, what do you think?

Just throwing it out there

Cheers Anthony  

I would buy one set from Aerocraft for my Tamiya F-4E. I agree about postage from the USA, which often is a complete passion killer. 

I have the Nautilus set and a wooden template Dave Eccles kindly gave me, but would prefer something that just had to be glued on that's also accurate at the outer edges and features the reinforcing plates near the airbrakes. A thicker gauge etched set would work well, but I'd prefer resin or printed as the bolts in the middle section would look better. 

I believe @Gene K has done some accurate drawings in a smaller scale for use on a cutter, and assuming these are vector drawings they should scale up. 

Tony 

FWIW, I have a really bad pic (sorry) of the belly strap on my F4-E below, which was made from the Nautilus set and heavily modified with fastener detail and the addition of the reinforcement plates around the landing gear well/air brake junction, and two small plates at the end of the straps.  As is you can't see this detail very well, but if you download the pic and zoom into it, you can see the arrangement of the fasteners which I spent a lot of time on to make as accurate as possible.  These strap pieces are super easy to make up yourself using either styrene or vinyl.

HTH,

Chuck

DPU91V.jpg

Edited by chuck540z3

On 10/30/2021 at 7:10 PM, denders said:

Thanks, Kev - Non-Mask Applications - Scale Model Paint Masks

Perhaps Gene would do [a belly strap] for 1/32.

I could easily do that, but the straps I worked were tailored to specific kits. For example, here are the straps for the Fujimi kit.

fwU9wCG.jpg

Note that the inside edges of the straps were straight except for the rounded cut-out for the wheel well, so that measurement is critical. Since I don't have a Tamiya kit, the scaled up Fujimi straps may be off. But I could work with someone who has the Tamiya kit to refine a fit ... all I'd need is a good scale scan/drawing of the Tamiya underside.:thumbsup:

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
Added image.

1 hour ago, MDuv said:

Hi Gene, I can send you a scan of my phantom belly.

Thanks, Mathieu, looking forward to it.  ... but I did dig out one of my ancient Tamiya 1/32 F-4E kits and scanned the belly. Then scaled up the strap set I made for Fujimi and overlaid it on the scan in Silhouette Studio:

QXuNqcC.png

Won't take too much to realign/refine along the dashed green lines using your and Chuck's photos.

Gene K

• 2 weeks later...

After a lot of Googling and page turning, here's the "near-final" trial fit using Cardstock.  I'm being judicious with rivets, but folks with a Silhouette cutter, if they choose, will be able skip cutting them since I drew them in a different color. 

I'll post the Silhouette file here, and also include an SVG for those who have other cutting  machines ... or who want to print and cut by hand. I think .010 plastic will fit the bill -- the Silhouette can engrave the details like rivets, and then cut the pieces out.

dKh3WGA.jpg

Gene K

Edit: Note that the outer curved tabs are there for reference placement - they will be cut off in the final file.

Edited by Gene K
Shape Clarification

1 hour ago, Michael931080 said:

Can you please let us know when it is posted on the other site?

Will do, MIchael. However, I was just requested to attend a funeral tomorrow, so I'll be out of town -- maybe up to 10 days. I'll take my files with me in the hopes of adding the finishing touches to the file and posting it. I'm reinventing the wheel, of course, but my challenge has been in resolving the shape of the "ears" and the center reinforcement of the strap. I have at least 10 different interpretations in drawings and aftermarket sets, and am settling down to scaling up and adjusting the Zukei Mura F-4S patterns. That raises the question as to whether or not all Phantom model reinforcements are the same (I was told they are, but?).

Just for grins, here's one of the drawings I used for reference:

CcpoJ1I.jpg

Lines up well with the detail photos from Coreman's Uncovering book that Mathieu alerted me to.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
Spelling