JA37 Viggen, Jetmads 1/32

Aigore

20 minutes ago, Zola25 said:

Congratulations on finishing it - what a journey ;)

It looks amazing. I really like the faded paintjob. Really cool!

/Niels 

Thanks Niels :D

Almost finished :P

1 minute ago, mattcour said:

This has been a joy to follow along, Aigore. Great build and I'm looking forward to seeing the RFI pictures until summer... which means you have plenty of time to correct the position of the seat safety handle :whistle::whistle: 

"STOLEN SAKRAD" should face the inwards I think, while the triangular end of the handle must face outwards off the seat.

Thanks mattcour :D

Indeed, well spotted....I was tired, that's my excuse :P

On 3/29/2022 at 9:37 PM, jeroen_R90S said:

Nothing I can add to that!

Jeroen

Thanks Jeroen :D

On 3/31/2022 at 8:17 AM, Phartycr0c said:

Aigore, 

Superb build, outstanding thread detail and inspirational to boot. 

Mine is not far behind at decaling stage. ill pop some finished photos as soon as I cross the line! 

Thanks Phartycr0c :D

looking forwards to the pics :D

Thanks everyone who cheered me on :D I will be back herecwitb a big scale build in the future but my current project, a 1/48th scale Ukrainian Flanker is unfort to small for this forum but you can follow it on ARC or Britmodeller....or simply start following me on Patreon, it's cheap and you get access to more than 1800 pictures from build bloggs, galleries and articles :D I'd be honoured .

https://www.patreon.com/user?u=62899518&fan_landing=true

Gorgeous build Aigore! Each step and update has been very inspiring and you have shown us some great techniques with this lovely kit. Looking forward to seeing this excellent model of yours with some great photos under RFI.

:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::clap2::clap2::clap2:

55 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Absolutely sensational, and I LOVED every update you shared with us. What a stunning result...only 6 months?  I think that's impressive for such a masterpiece.

Thanks Anthony :D

Since I've been at home the whole time and been able to build pretty much everyday 6 month would have been very much longer if I hadn't  been on sick leave :P

21 minutes ago, Violator1991 said:

Gorgeous build Aigore! Each step and update has been very inspiring and you have shown us some great techniques with this lovely kit. Looking forward to seeing this excellent model of yours with some great photos under RFI.

:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Thank You very much Violator1991 :D

you and all ithef followers ha e been a great motivator and helped me through this build!

• 3 months later...

I thought I would take the opportunity here to just mention, that for the second batch of the Viggen in 1:32, my last email from JETMADS apparently say that they are starting to shipand will start delivering stuff towards August I think it said. So, right around the corner I would think for us that jumped on the second batch. :) I do not remember the details in the email, but apparently delivery seems to be about a year from purchase, which is totally ok with me. I just hope the parts are moulded ok and are intact.

Edited by Treehugger

• 2 weeks later...

It's a wrap!

So after almost half a year on hold I have finaqlly finnished the last bits.

I had waited for either Master or Maestro to make a metal pitot tube for Viggen in 1/32nd scale but unfortunately that did not come to fruit.

In stead I started looking for tubes to adapt. I ordered a Hawker Hunter tube in 1/32 and a F-100 ditto...and oddly I found that Master had pitot tubes for JAS39 Gripen in 1/32.

Upon recieveing the tubes I dsimissed the F-100 tube out of hand, the Hunter tube could be adapted BUT the Gripen tubes were really interesting.

At first I thought the Gripen tubes were in the wrong scale but when I compared to 1/48 I saw that they indeed were larger.

IMG_6939.JPG

As a matter of fact they are exactly the same length as the Viggen pitot tube!

IMG_6940.JPG

I still had to adapt it a bit since there is a thicker section at the base of the Gripen tube with a cone at the end. 

I sanded the cone to the thickness of the base section and drilled a 1.2mm hole in the nose of the Viggen.

IMG_6943.JPG

It still differs a bit from the Viggen tube, there should be a slight bulge at the end of the Viggen tube and the shaft should be the same width instead of progressingly thinner as the Gripen tube. But in the end it looks the best!

So my big tip is that you should get Master's Gripen pitottube set in 1/32nd scale!

IMG_6944.JPG

Also the fin pitot tube is usable from that set. Again not 100% correct as the it should be constant width instead of thinning towards the end...but it looks good! And it's metal!

IMG_6941.JPG

I drilled a 0.8mm hole in the Jetmads part (after breaking off the resin tube) and glued the secondary pitottube in place. It cracked a bit so I had to fix with CA glue and then sand it before painting and installing it on the kit.

IMG_6947.JPG

IMG_6948.JPG

I had other stuff to do as well...

I had glued the saftey handle wrong so I had to remove it and reattach it.

IMG_6942.JPG

And lastly There should be protruding a couple of tubes from the tailcone. Probably cooling inlets for the stuff in the tail cone.

Jetmads had the tubes molded in place but I removed them to be able to clean the surface.

I made them from warm drawn sprue, glued them in place and painted them black. They should really be separate parts, Jetmads!

IMG_6945.JPG

IMG_6946.JPG

With that the build is a wrap.....finally and I will take neato pics of the finished model during the week!

IMG_6949.JPG

Cheers and thanks for all the support during the build!