JA37 Viggen, Jetmads 1/32

Aigore

10 hours ago, chrish said:

I just spent a couple hours going through this EPIC build! This is amazing and the “go to” for anyone building one!

Thanks chrish :D

I'm really happy my idle ramblings and frolicking about brought you such joy :D 

Ah, Friday again and here is a small update again.

Moving on

After finishing that splinter cammo one would think that the model is all but finished but no.

Now it's about making the canvas ready.... everything up to this has been a transport distance and there are more to do before it is time to breath life to the model and give it a soul.

It's a serene moment when you move on to the small stuff. First off is to paint the regulator and you also see the edge of the cover that shuts the reverser slits in supersonic flight. I begun with masking

IMG_5739.JPG

I masked the fin tip as well.

IMG_5740.JPG

Then I shot Alclad Gloss Black Base

IMG_5741.JPG

I use Alclad Airframe Aluminium to get that shiny base that I can work with

IMG_5742.JPG

IMG_5743.JPG

The next step was to shoot Alclad steel and then remove the mask.

IMG_5745.JPG

IMG_5746.JPG

I shot Alclad Gloss Black Base on the fintip and the nose cone.

IMG_5747.JPG

IMG_5748.JPG

Then I bettered the intake lips with Alclad white aluminium

IMG_5749.JPG

IMG_5750.JPG

I'm thinking of leaving this beauty spot as is in fact you will find lots of these on real Viggens too....the paint shop wasn´t manned with modellers :P

IMG_5751.JPG

There you go :D Next on my to do-list are the black edges on the wings and fins, fix the forward radarsensors, do some bettering painting here and there and from there move on to the wheels and struts.

IMG_5752.JPG

Cheers!

Time for the Sunday update

Much ado about nothing

Right, this is where I left it yesterday...

IMG_5752.JPG

Now for one of the most boring paintjobs there are, the protective tape on the wings and fins edges! They are in black and to avoid overspray this means a LOT of masking for little gain, but it has to be done!

IMG_5753.JPG

IMG_5754.JPG

IMG_5755.JPG

IMG_5756.JPG

IMG_5757.JPG

Sheeesh, an hour later the masking was done and ready for a minute and half paint session!

IMG_5758.JPG

And after carefully removing all masking  all of this is the result :P

IMG_5759.JPG

IMG_5760.JPG

IMG_5761.JPG

Alright that´s enough for today... more masking tomorrow with the intake lips and the main wheel wells....at least that will be fun :D

IMG_5762.JPG

Cheers!

3 hours ago, Phartycr0c said:

Stunning! absolutely stunning! the time and effort taken in build and preparation ha paid off in spades. That paintwork is gorgeous. 

Keep it up! and Landrotten, come in the water is lovely! 

Thanks Phartycr0c :D

there's a lot I'm happy about in this kit and there are other things that displeases me a bit....it will be a good looking kit as long as you don't start looking at it in miniscule detail. I'm afraid it won't be show winner but it'll look fine :)

Ah, Friday again and here thngs are moving on at a steady pace.

Well well, masking wells.

Today I decided to try something new for the intake lips coroguards... a black pen!

IMG_5763.JPG

I only masked thin strips...

IMG_5764.JPG

Well that turned out good enough, maybe next time instead of masking the entire thing I should use a pen instead :P

IMG_5765.JPG

IMG_5766.JPG

IMG_5767.JPG

OK I'm sorry about the white balance, the light conditions changed faster than I could change the settings :P

Anyhoo....I filled in those pesky little spots with stripped paint. A bit of polish on that  and we're fine.

IMG_5768.JPG

Now for the masking bit......ugh.

IMG_5769.JPG

Made a couple of inside the well masks too since the walls and the ceiling in the wells are different colours.

IMG_5770.JPG

About the colour, it was hard to determin if the ceiling is in anodised aluminium or painted in a light gray...  Had me pondering for a bit before I tried two different grays and ran with this lightgray with a pull towards blue as to make  contrast to the gears that have a lightgrays with a pull towars brown.

IMG_5771.JPG

Then I masked the ceiling and shot dark green on the walls.

IMG_5772.JPG

And here is the result, I will start detailpainting later :D

IMG_5773.JPG

IMG_5774.JPG

IMG_5775.JPG

Cheers!

And it's Sunday again :D

Shiny!

I detailpainted the main wheel wells with some gray panels and i painte the pipes with a silver pen.

IMG_5793.JPG

Checking my refs I saw a gauge on one of the panels, could be a G meter for the ground crew to see how much G forces the fuselage has sustained.

I had a nice decal I could use anyway :D

IMG_5794.JPG

And put in place.

IMG_5795.JPG

Next I had to glue these small things in place, I think they are for when ground crew loads the pylons, they fasten a mobile hand cranked winch  in them

IMG_5796.JPG

Glued in place, I will hand paint them later.

IMG_5797.JPG

IMG_5799.JPG

I noticed that I had not got rid of those print lines from the main gear doors so more putty ....yay.

IMG_5800.JPG

I had to sand all wheel well doors

IMG_5801.JPG

Then I primed the forward radar sensors in Alclad flat black.

IMG_5802.JPG

And the outer faces of the MLG doors got primed in gray and then painted in the belly main color.

IMG_5804.JPG

LAstly I put down a few layers of gloss varnish over all.

IMG_5805.JPG

IMG_5806.JPG

IMG_5807.JPG

There that´s all for today, tomorrow some wheel well weathering and other small stuff :D

Cheers!

On 1/16/2022 at 1:06 PM, Aigore said:

Hmmm...I have  no clue why some of the picture links don´t work I have tried different ways but for some reason some picture links simply doesn´t work!

It's very annoying.

I've taken the liberty of correcting this, though the links I posted were exactly as you had, technology, eh!

Great work on the Viggen, how lucky we are to have such a great kit.

2 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

I've taken the liberty of correcting this, though the links I posted were exactly as you had, technology, eh!

Great work on the Viggen, how lucky we are to have such a great kit.

Thanks a million! I have no clue as to what was the problem....probably the stars where misaligned or something :P

And thanks! I hope Jetmads will listen to my views when I'm done with the kit. There are a few things that would benefit from a change when the release the next Viggen.