JA37 Viggen, Jetmads 1/32

Aigore

1 hour ago, crobinsonh said:

One work - "Wow"

1 hour ago, Violator1991 said:

Now she is a badass Viggen :clap2::clap2:

With that gray primer looking so good, I am now fully convinced hundred percent to go with the gray scheme :D

Thanks Violator1991 :D

The gray has its charm

DSC_9186_zpssz9aoxqr.jpg

It´s Sunday and Boxingday at that but I have an update ready for you !

Soon, my precious....Sooon

Time to give the gigant Viggen some attention....it is time to add and fix small tings :D

There was a piece missing from wingroot of the canard so I needed to fix that with putty. So I started my usual masking.

IMG_5597.JPG

And a wee bit of sanding 

IMG_5598.JPG

Moving on to priming the whole shebang.

IMG_5599.JPG

IMG_5600.JPG

With that  it was time to add the flaps.

The flaps move as one on the JA and are slightly dropped when parked.

IMG_5601.JPG

IMG_5602.JPG

ANd some primer on that too

IMG_5604.JPG

IMG_5605.JPG

Well well, almost time for paint! I´ll do a once over to spot defects I can´t live with and then it´s time for paint!

IMG_5630.JPG

IMG_5631.JPG

Oh, and my only X-mas gift from me to me arrived, new missiles! The in box missiles aren´t bad per se but they only come with training round markings...I wan't my Viggen to carry the real stuff that goes bang and besides the Eduard Brassin is simply outstanding!... I´ll cuddle those boxes infront of the teli tonight :P

IMG_5603.JPG

A small update but things are a foot!

Cheers!

I must admit that one of the few things I am slightly disappointed with in the kit is the missiles. The front and rear ends, which are 3D printed are ok, but the bodies are pretty bad considering todays standards. Luckily the wonderful Eduard Brassin sets are quite cheap so I also went that way. The rails could also have some (more) details on them, especially the Sidewinder rails. They are completely featureless.

Really nice work on those joints ;)

Edited by Zola25

Completely agree with you re the missiles , and yes I went the Eduard route as regards the sidewinders . 

Great job on the build , It really does take some considerable fettling to get the beast the come together 

8 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Aigore..

SUPERB  work so far.

:bow:

I think We  have another Modelling God and Hero in the making as you build this ASTOUNDING, and aethestically pleasing looking  aircraft.

Kudos.

Thanks Maru  :)

Think I'm blushing a bit

6 hours ago, Zola25 said:

I must admit that one of the few things I am slightly disappointed with in the kit is the missiles. The front and rear ends, which are 3D printed are ok, but the bodies are pretty bad considering todays standards. Luckily the wonderful Eduard Brassin sets are quite cheap so I also went that way. The rails could also have some (more) details on them, especially the Sidewinder rails. They are completely featureless.

Really nice work on those joints ;)

Thanks zola :D

Those Brassin missiles are beautiful....I always go with Brassin or ResKit weapons as well as Master pitot tubes....I really hope we'll see turned brass for Viggen in 1/32, I got sort of a half promise from them that they'd release a set early next year. shouldn't be a bigger for them.

another thing that is a bit sad on the Jetmads are the Air Wing shields decals, I guess they forgot them when they sent the material to Cartograph :(

I have probed the willingness of Swedish decal designers to make a few pops. We shall see....but those in box de also will never touch my Vigge!

2 hours ago, Scotsman said:

Completely agree with you re the missiles , and yes I went the Eduard route as regards the sidewinders . 

Great job on the build , It really does take some considerable fettling to get the beast the come together 

Thanks Scotsman, hope the "fettling" will subside from here on.

23 hours ago, Aigore said:

another thing that is a bit sad on the Jetmads are the Air Wing shields decals, I guess they forgot them when they sent the material to Cartograph :(

I don't think they forgot it, because their white backgrounds are already printed on the Cartograf sheets.

My theory is: the air wing decals seem to have some extra six or maybe seven colours in addition to those on the two the A4 size sheets when I have a closer look, which would mean so many more screens for printing probably leads to increased costs. That could explain why they might have chosen to laser print them. Would have been better if screen-printed, not perfect as the rest of the decal sheets but not junk either so I can live with that.

3 hours ago, mattcour said:

I don't think they forgot it, because their white backgrounds are already printed on the Cartograf sheets.

My theory is: the air wing decals seem to have some extra six or maybe seven colours in addition to those on the two the A4 size sheets when I have a closer look, which would mean so many more screens for printing probably leads to increased costs. That could explain why they might have chosen to laser print them. Would have been better if screen-printed, not perfect as the rest of the decal sheets but not junk either so I can live with that.

You are probably right

However the lack of metallic colours in the prints takes away alot of the right feel. :/ It's an expensive kit well worth correct decals.

5 hours ago, jeroen_R90S said:

Looks great, I'm happy to see all those Viggens being actually built instead of gathering dust somewhere!

I wonder why Jetmads didn't simply put some Eduard missiles on the box instead of developing their own, but there's probably a very good reason somewhere for that.

Thanks jeroen_R90S :D

I think it simply was cheaper to do them in house....the kit would benefit greatly from turned brass pitot tubes as well...I will not put on those printed things, they will snap as soon as I look at them.

Oh, it´s Friday AND New Year's eve so HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!

A few more stuff to add

I had to deal with a couple of beauty spots I couldn´t really live with 

IMG_5630.JPG

IMG_5631.JPG

Oh I almost forgot the body pylons!

IMG_5632.JPG

Nasty layering there...but I fixed that in a whiffy with my scraper.

IMG_5634.JPG

Then I just glued them on....the fit is so so but good enough so I can just fill with the acrylic putty.

IMG_5635.JPG

IMG_5636.JPG

A little comparison between the Jetmads and the Eduard Brassin missiles...

Jetmads aren't bad but the Brassin stuff is just so much better. This is why I almost always go with Brassin  ordinance in any build, they are exqusite!

IMG_5637.JPG

The Skyflash/sparrow... another benefir with Brassin is I don´t have to mess with removing layers so they save time as well!

IMG_5638.JPG

Then I shifted my focus to the struts, exquisilty detailed....but those print layers are ever present! I don´t really know how to get to the layers without messing upp details.....very....unforfilling. I have to think on this.

IMG_5639.JPG

IMG_5640.JPG

Same with the wheels....  well I'll shoot some primer on top and then we will see how mad it is. 

IMG_5641.JPG

Parts prepped for primer.

IMG_5642.JPG

Lastly I filled the gaps with acrylic filler

IMG_5643.JPG

IMG_5644.JPG

Cheers!

2 hours ago, flarpen said:

It's a bit disappointing to see that the printing quality isn't of a higher standard than this.
It should after all be considered a high end kit in my mind.
Also the need to use as much filler as you have shouldn't bee needed.

Aww, but Johan....filler is the meaning of life! :P

This is my first ever all resin kit so I don't know what is the normal ammount of filler for a resin kit :)

I think 3D printing still is in its infancy and Jetmads is still a young company....I will provide feedback on this kit to help them out in future releases.

I think they have seen the limitations of their printing processes. The cockpit would greatly improve with classic cast resin and why not add 3D printed instruments quinta studio style, or photo etch. 

The greatest problems with the kit are the wings however, it is really hard to make them fit seamlessly and unscaved. I have worked the wing seams hard and they still don't look really good. They should really rethink the main wing attachment.

17 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you too  Aigore.

Have a super 2022.

:beer:   :beer4:

Your Viggen is looking oh SO  SUPERB. 

Coming along beautifully. 

Thank you for sharing it.

:thumbsup:

Thanks Maru :D

always hapoy to get noticed :)