JA37 Viggen, Jetmads 1/32

Aigore

That's as many Thunderbolts as Odin could throw in a bad temper tantrum.. 

Now  if we're talking F-4s of Spits , that's more like it , but none of them ever wore a colour scheme like the Viggen's Fields  and Meadows one , speaking of which anyone fancy a couple of nice Pink Spits  - coming sometime next year!

Work that body!

Going to be lots of fitting and sanding today....oh joy!
First sanded by the wheel wells.

IMG_5269.JPG

Then I primed the whole rear fuselage.

IMG_5271.JPG

Sure enough, I had to do a wee bit of bettering there.

IMG_5272.JPG

IMG_5275.JPG

Put down a big slap of putty around the seam in the drop tank....the work will continue on that in a few days 

IMG_5278.JPG

Then I cut out the canard flaps, of course I managed to break one of them...like I don´t have enough to do.

IMG_5279.JPG

No worries, I just CA-glued a piece of plasticard to it.

IMG_5280.JPG

Cut it to shape and sanded it smooth.

IMG_5293.JPG

next it was time to add some 3D printed stuff to the fuselage but before that I mixed Tamyia white putty with thinner to get a liquid filler.

IMG_5281.JPG

First victim is this rear fillet of the KCA gun....you see the printing layers.

IMG_5282.JPG

I used a wide flat brush and put down 2 layers on the fillet and the belly strake.

IMG_5285.JPG

IMG_5289.JPG

Shitty picture I know :/ but anyway, I polished the parts and shot primer ontop, polished a bit more and glued them in.
There is a gap where the strake meets the fuselage but that is a minor thing I´ll get to it in time.

IMG_5291.JPG

I went on to the wing parts and did the same to them

IMG_5288.JPG

Looks rather nice with primer on, had to rescribe and redo all the rivets...of course :P

IMG_5297.JPG

I only hav e one wing to work on yet so I dry fitted the part....and well it needs tweaking.

IMG_5298.JPG

To remove the step I had to sand the bottom of the part and hoping I wouldn´t destroy anything.

IMG_5299.JPG

After a long while of sanding and fitting I got the step removed...but there are other issues..it doesn´t line up correctly.

IMG_5300.JPG

I scraped one edge until I got alignment
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/cc63/Aigore/IMG_5301.JPG

And glued it in place...will have to do the same process on the  other wing when I get it.

IMG_5302.JPG

Now it was alrigt to lightly sand around the wheel wells in the fuselage.

IMG_5295.JPG

The fit between the wing and fuselage isn´t stellar....

IMG_5303.JPG

The top side even worse.

IMG_5309.JPG

Well after a while of scraping, sanding and fitting I got this far...still some work to do but that´s for another day 

IMG_5310.JPG

Cheers!

5 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

:speak_cool::popcorn:

Thanks, hope you brought snacks for everyone!

2 hours ago, Christoffer Lindelav said:

Lots of work on this kit that's for sure but you're getting there. What thinner do you use for the Tamiya white putty?

Thanks for the cheering on....really need it at this stage of the  build :P

The thinner is the nasty kind like cellulose thinner or laquer thinner.

4 hours ago, mattcour said:

As a first row audience I must say the build is progressing so well :clap2::thumbsup: 

Thanks Matt :D

I do need cheering on right now......got a  mancold and there is so much fillingand sanding going on right now :P

Winging it...

Ah, Friday again...ready for a little update?

As I mentioned earlier I finally got my replacement wing. It was seriously wrapped in plastic foam....... I think they could have played football with it without anything happening to the wing :P

IMG_5313.JPG

Armed with both wings  I set out to make them fit!

IMG_5314.JPG

The fit isn´t fantastic, you have some joyous hours of work with sanding, dremelling, scraping and filing to make them mate decently to the fuselage.

It pays to be thorough here is my thought.

IMG_5315.JPG

The fit is worst on the upper side where that thin fillet meet the fuselage.

IMG_5316.JPG

When I felt it was close enough I fitted in the part for the wheel well...a bit of sanding and scarping to make it fit flush.

IMG_5317.JPG

Then I glued the wing in place..... I got a decent fit but I will have to work with some filler. There is a slight step on the underside towards the rear tail cone.

IMG_5318.JPG

IMG_5319.JPG

Both wings glued in place, tomorrow I´ll start blending them in.

IMG_5320.JPG

Dryfitted the front fuselage....it´s fast becoming large and unwieldy

IMG_5321.JPG

IMG_5322.JPG

With that todays labor was done!

IMG_5323.JPG

Cheers!

2 hours ago, mark31 said:

i know the feeling about the wings

You are doing a great job keep it up

Mark

Thanks Mark :D

Good with some support and sympathy from someone nwho knows what it's about.

I really wished they would have come up with a different solution. The fillets are fragile and thin and adds way too much grief. It would have been far easier if the wing fillet would have been part of the fuselage.....well my woes will be well documented over a few weeks.....sheesh

13 hours ago, Aigore said:

It would have been far easier if the wing fillet would have been part of the fuselage.....

Agree, I thought the same when I tried a dry fit on mine. It's not that bad but the edges are real thin and maybe could have been better if the fillets were designed integral to the fuselage as you say. I think the reason is that the current shape of the fuselage works fine for removing from the mould. Adding the fillets would probably create some undercuts and work against the direction of removal.

6 hours ago, frank83 said:

Agree, I thought the same when I tried a dry fit on mine. It's not that bad but the edges are real thin and maybe could have been better if the fillets were designed integral to the fuselage as you say. I think the reason is that the current shape of the fuselage works fine for removing from the mould. Adding the fillets would probably create some undercuts and work against the direction of removal.

Yeah, so they would have had to either make the belly a separate piece or make the wings and belly into one piece.

Lovely work Aigore... This thing is really huge :)

I had built an F-104, which I think is about the same length but the Viggen looks just more... well... chunky? fat? beefed up?... or whatever is the right word :) 

Not to compare the wings with the Starfigher of course but the fuselage shape really adds to the robust look.

Keep up the good work, this is going to be "huge" when finished!