1:32nd scale Salmson 2-A2

sandbagger

On 1/3/2022 at 8:57 PM, monthebiff said:

Fantastic build Mike, out of interest why the blue rigging as I'm very intreauged? 

Regards. Andy 

Hi Andy,

For whatever reason, some of the French aircraft had their rigging and metal fitting coloured blue.

I don't think any other nation followed this trend,

Mike

Edited by sandbagger

Hi all,
The twin flying and landing wires are now fitted, as are the incidence wires between the interplane struts..
I still have the two drag wires and two side bracing wires (each side of the aircraft) to fit.
Now the 32 separate infill strips between the flying and land wires to do,

Mike

wingrig1.jpg

wingrig2.jpg

Hi all,
The tail unit is done.
That includes the rudder and elevator control cables, the twin bracing wires for the fin and the fin and tail plane support struts.
These twin wires, like the flying and landing wires, will need infills and wrapping.

Mike

tailrigdone1.jpg

tailrigdone2.jpg

Hi all,
I've fitted the linen wrapped infills between the pairs of flying, landing and fin bracing wires.
I tried my previous methods of using baking parchment paper and 0.2 mm thick plastic card strips.
However, the length of these pairs of wires are long and they flexed too much.
Therefore, I cut strips of 'Aviattic' CDL decal to 1.75 width of each pair of wires.
The water I used to release the decals was cold, as this tends to release the decal in a more rigid state than warm water would.
That made it easier to position the decal strips onto the wires.
The decals were laid centrally onto the top sides of the wires and left to allow the residual decal adhesive to grip to the wires.

infills1.jpg

I then applied 'DACO Products' strong setting solution across the top of the decal strip.
As the decal started to soften, I teased the edges under the wires to fully wrap them with the decal.

Not easy but I think it should look OK once I've painted the decals.
This is necessary as the decal is thin and the blue rigging wires shown through.

Then it's onto finishing the rigging (drag and side wires),

Mike  

infills2.jpg

infill3.jpg

Edited by sandbagger

Hi all,
At last the rigging is complete.
I've added the side bracing wires from the fuselage to the underside of the upper wing.
Also the upper and lower drag wires from the engine bearer frame to the underside of the upper wing and leading edge of the lower wings.
The flying, landing and fin bracing wire infills have also been painted with the same colour as the undersides of the wings and fuselage.
I chose CDL as it's difficult to know if these infills were CDL or blue (as for the rigging wires.
My assumption is that blue would has stood out too much against the camouflage surfaces, so I opted for CDL.

So now it's onto the four wireless wires from the cabane struts to the underside of the upper wing.
Also the fuel tank vent pipe,

Mike

rigdone1.jpg

rigdone2.jpg

Hi all,
I've now added the pilot's Vickers machine gu ('GasPatch replacement), gun sight, ring site, mirror and coolant header tank.
Also the wind driven pump/generator, with pipe from 0.4 mm diameter black tube from 'MFH'.

Just the ailerons and control cables wind screens and observers weapons to add, then it's onto the figures,

Mike

frontend.jpg

pumpdone.jpg