1:32nd scale Salmson 2-A2

sandbagger

Hi Matt,
As you can see in the photographs, this aircraft had front and rear twin flying and landing wires between each wing bay.
These were held together by wood strip inserts between each pair of wires and wrapped to secure them in place.
Representing those wires will be an interesting exercise,

Mike 

5 hours ago, sandbagger said:

Hi Matt,
As you can see in the photographs, this aircraft had front and rear twin flying and landing wires between each wing bay.
These were held together by wood strip inserts between each pair of wires and wrapped to secure them in place.
Representing those wires will be an interesting exercise,

Mike 

That's what's been putting me off starting it.  Let me know what solution you come up with. It'll probably just be rigging it with a sliver of plastic in the middle, then really thin masking tape for the bindings.

Matt 

2 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

That's what's been putting me off starting it.  Let me know what solution you come up with. It'll probably just be rigging it with a sliver of plastic in the middle, then really thin masking tape for the bindings.

Matt 

I'll probably try the baking parchment paper method I used on the Nieuport 28 model,

Mike

noop28-6.jpg

Hi all,
The basic engine is complete.
I've added the ignition harnesses to the two rear mounted magnetos.
Also the twin ignition leads from the circular support tube to the twin sparks plugs on each of the nine cylinders.
The radiator shutters are being modeled as open,

Mike 

engdone1.jpg

engdone2.jpg

engdone3.jpg

engdone4.jpg

What a great start!

I noticed the engine block is cast iron (as expected) but cylinders are painted in copper. Just out of curiosity -- do you know the reasoning of this design feature?

Carry on! This is going to be another great models from your workshop.

Hi Jaro,

Copper cylinder jackets were used on the FE2 as well.

My guess is that copper is a good heat sink and can transfer heat better than other metals.

As this engine is water cooled it would be better for dispersing the heat generated by the engine into the cooling system,

Mike 

Great project.

I will be riding along.

Note the photo shows the "cat on the moon" is much more toward tail than the drawing.  Also the cat/moon seems to be next to a white stripe...not a blue one.

Hi Kurok,

Thanks - good observation.

There are other photographs of this aircraft that show the fuselage markings.

The blue and white marking both look white in the photographs due to the type of film used at the time.

The angle the photographs were taken at may also alter the apparent position of the marking.

Also in the previous photograph, the wind driven pump/generator is mounted on the lower, port wing, whereas in these photographs it's mounted on the starboard landing gear strut.

So it's possible these photographs were taken post WW1, when the marking may have been re-positioned.

Mike

snap13.jpg

snap2.jpg

snap4.jpg

Edited by sandbagger

Hi all,
Sorry, but I forgot to take shots of the cockpit assembly before closing up the fuselage!!
Anyway I added the rudder and elevator control cables.
Also the cross bracing wires in the cockpit side frames, across the internal frames and on the floor panels.
The observer/gunner seat is fitted in the stowed position, as I'll be adding a figure into the rear cockpit.
I still have some weathering and detail to add, such as cockpit and engine control rods and pipes and the wireless reel wire etc.
As usual, not much can be seen once the cockpit decking panel is fitted - hey ho.

For now I'll be putting this model aside so that I can complete the Avro 'Vulcan' Mk.2  I'm building for a friends birthday next month.
Then I'll be back on the Salmson,

Mike

closed1.jpg

closed2.jpg

closed3.jpg

closed4.jpg

closed5.jpg

closed6.jpg