Flogger Flying

2 hours ago, Rainer Hoffmann said:

Cool! But I would be afraid that some F-35 jockey might shoot me down. After all, it's a Flogger ... And that civil registration is way too small.

Cheers

Rainer

I chased down a MiG-23 that had violated the southern no fly zone over Iraq in September of 92. Our ROE was VID only at the time..which saved his life that day. We ramped-down out of the CAP supersonic to intercept him- by the time we got within visual range he had turned around and was back across the border…smokin’ for home. A few seconds earlier and I probably would have had the first AMRAAM kill ever.

cheers

P

I always chuckle when tactical words get mixed in with normal ATC comms.  Strangle the squawk was a goodern.  

Without exception I use tally when I have traffic in sight.  Best one was calling opposite Southwest traffic one afternoon.  I called “Talley”, Southwest said

“Tally?”.  Unknown to the female controller “guess he (me) did want to say ho on the radio.”  She giggled.

My other favorite term I used when we’d get traffic call while we were in the goo, perfect time to reply, “We’re popeye.”

Great vid!  Cool to see a pair of Hawks as photo chase.

Timmy!

14 hours ago, Timmy! said:

I always chuckle when tactical words get mixed in with normal ATC comms.  Strangle the squawk was a goodern.  

Without exception I use tally when I have traffic in sight.  Best one was calling opposite Southwest traffic one afternoon.  I called “Talley”, Southwest said

“Tally?”.  Unknown to the female controller “guess he (me) did want to say ho on the radio.”  She giggled.

My other favorite term I used when we’d get traffic call while we were in the goo, perfect time to reply, “We’re popeye.”

Great vid!  Cool to see a pair of Hawks as photo chase.

Timmy!

Got into a pissing match with the approach controller at SLC over this very comm you mention:

him: “traffic to follow 11:00 for 6 miles”

me: “tally ho”

him: understand “traffic in sight?”

me: “afirm. Tally ho”.

him: “so you see the traffic?”

me: “yep. “Tally ho the traffic, now 12:00 and 5 miles..TCAS hits also there”

him: “I need to hear traffic in sight”

me: “ok..but you also need to know what tally ho means” 

him: “follow that traffic. Cleared the visual. Contact tower”

me: “Follow the traffic I’m tally on- cleard visual-push tower. See ya”

If the traffic call is for traffic that is ID’d as my airline, I always use “visual “ (friendly aircraft) everyone else is “Tally-ho” 

P

Edited by Pete Fleischmann