1:32 Tamiya - P-51D-20 44-72218 "Big Beautiful Doll"

MDuv

Hi Gentlemen: @Michael931080 @Model_Monkey @Rockie Yarwood @Troy Molitor @Out2gtcha @Memir @Kagemusha @allthumbs @MikeC @dodgem37 @Jeff T 
Thank you guys for your heartwarming comments :blush: :blush:

On 10/26/2021 at 2:36 PM, Daywalker said:

Amazing work, I was stunned by those ultra-miniature stencils for the kill markings!  Love the filth on the wings, very well done.  How did you achieve those dirt effects, and what did you use for the NMF?

Hi Daywalker, thank you, NMF was done with Tamiya metal lacquers. Mainly LP70 Gloss Alu for the fuselage, tinted with several shades for the paneling and LP38 Flat Alu for the wings. The wear on them was done with several (a lot) of spattered tamiya panel liner, then treated to look even more spattered with an old flat brush. Lot of love on them.
Cheers

On 10/26/2021 at 6:43 PM, nmayhew said:

Looks beautiful but the actual airframe has some stripe / stripes clearly visible on the wing?

Hi,
Yeps this bird did sport checkers on the wings, but as stated in the introduction, not at the time depicted. I am not aware of stripes over it ? have you any info I dont have ?
Cheers.
Q5ey3go.png

9 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Super finish Mathieu, can't believe the size of those swasteekerz. Did you cut those on a Cameo ??

Hi Mike, 
Thanks a lot! Yeah Cameo was kind enough to produce 1 good set of evilcrosses out of 5 attempts. Considering the size I felt happy it worked.
Cheers.

On 10/26/2021 at 5:30 PM, Martinnfb said:

One of the best P-51 builds out there, period.

Cheers

Martin

Hi Martin, thank you ! means a lot when it comes from talended gentlemen.

9 hours ago, Jaro said:

Great!

Weathering on upper wing surfaces is top of the top.

Thanks Jaro,
Yeps I was quite happy with how it turned out in the end.
Just took me about 2 mustangs build to get it this way :-) Wont show the first one :p

3 hours ago, John Stambaugh said:

"She's not perfect " but man you got her mighty close. Great photography also. Thanks for sharing.

Hi John, 
Lets say photography perfected her.
Thanks a lot.
Cheers.

7 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Wot he said!

Absolutely stunning, and I love the dull Duralumin finish....perfect

Hi Anthony !
Thank you. Yes I think it suits better to operational mustang. Even if I consider doing a shiny nmf one in the near future.
cheers.

Edited by MDuv

Hi

not talking about the chequers on the wing tips, i am talking about on the wings closer to fuselage

look at the pic you first posted inboard of the guns - is that not a white stripe and then a dark stripe on the wing going from inboard to outboard

does look to be something there for me but i can’t see anything in a quick trawl of other original B&W pics of this bird …maybe an interesting trick of the light

the build looks wonderful btw 

Nick

Edited by nmayhew
Re-assessing what i can see!

13 hours ago, CZPetrP said:

Beautiful!

Hi, thank you Petr

1 hour ago, nmayhew said:

Hi

not talking about the chequers on the wing tips, i am talking about on the wings closer to fuselage

look at the pic you first posted inboard of the guns - is that not a white stripe and then a dark stripe on the wing going from inboard to outboard

does look to be something there for me but i can’t see anything in a quick trawl of other original B&W pics of this bird …maybe an interesting trick of the light

the build looks wonderful btw 

Nick

Hi Nick,

I believe the stripe you mention it's the shadow of the prop.

XraezqB.jpg

No other pic I have studied show any hint of a black stripe.

2Z7x5KM.jpg

Landers's 1st assigned plane did sport them however at some time:

WW2Q0om.png

Btw, thank you for your comments, and the discussion it brings.

Best regards.

Mathieu

Hi Mathieu,

Yes I think that is correct - it is the shadow!

I agree that no other picture shows any stripes like this so what you say is logical and I believe the correct explanation.

Sorry to get in the way of your wonderful build - and it just that - wonderful!!

Cheers

Nick

Edited by nmayhew
agree with OP about the shadow

6 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Beautiful rendition of BBD!

May I post it on the website?

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Thank you Ray, of course.

Mathieu Duvivier for the credit.

cheers

On 10/29/2021 at 10:34 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Stunning build!

Kev

Thank you sir!

cheers

On 10/30/2021 at 1:39 AM, aircommando130 said:

That's awesome! Finish and weathering is so real. I like that "rough cut" base too! 

Cheers...Ron

Thanks Ron, base was a fun distraction at the end of the build. It’s made out of a dish plate bought at cheap furnitures store. I used the contour feature of the silhouette to get the even wood border.

VSRTX3L.jpg

sc3E0Mc.jpg

OdLWLG6.jpg

s4oQx5r.jpg

Cheers 

Mathieu

• 2 weeks later...