Hawker Hunter J-34/F.50

RLWP

OK, I'm in. I'm hoping to have a bit of a mojo reboot with this one

I've got a huge blue, top-opening box of plastic, some Flightpath stuff on the way, Moose Republic decals in the post and a resin tailpipe being delivered. There's a book out there in delivery space too

With a bit of luck, and with not too many references available, I'm hoping to recapture some of my teenage joy in building models with this one

Richard

Question - what is the AWACS plane at 2:06?

Edited by RLWP

I heard that the Swedish Air Force demanded that Hawkers had to deliver them flat packed ....

The other aircraft I think is a pregnant SAAB 32 C Lansen 

Swedes made some really neat looking aircraft , pity less of them are available to make . 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_32_Lansen

Quick Potted Biog

Nice restored one

Edited by Panzerwomble
Spwillongs

Worth watching Richard since I'm planning to build my Echelon Hawker Hunter F6 before too long.  Tell me about the resin tail pipe please, didn't know such a thing existed! I am SOOOO tempted to get this one too, must resist, must resist! :unsure: but in my opinion it's a steal at that price. 

Edited by mozart

16 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Great video, what an impressive underground complex! Stunning the way they disconnected the tow bar while going at a good speed!

Alain

Presumably this is so they could scramble to intercept Soviet aircraft during the Cold War. Being so close to the bloc, they wouldn't have much time to get airborne. Hence the engine spool up in the hangar and dropping off the 'plane at speed

I also wonder if that right turn after release from the tow truck is intentional - if the engine wasn't running up correctly the pilot could coast straight ahead clearing the path for his wingman to get airborne

Meanwhile, fun with photoetch!

DSCF1829.JPG

I love photo etch

Richard

Much excitement - the Blackbird Hunter set has arrived!

DSCF1832.JPG

One small bore exhaust, a pair of leading edges, a pair of wingtips and a pair of flaps. So, how is the fit:

DSCF1833.JPG

In plan, not bad. The wingtip is short because this is an early kit with the wrong ailerons. The resin tip shows where the aileron should end. The leading edge is a little short, nothing too hard to fix

DSCF1834.JPG

This is a little bit more challenging and is going to need a bit of thought. Initial fiddling suggests it will probably work with a bit of persistence

And the back end:

DSCF1835.JPG

Can't argue with that!

DSCF1836.JPG

This side I need to do a bit more on the locating spigot. What is surprising (and pleasing) is all of the necessary panels lines for an F4 are on the fuselage even though many are covered by the parachute fairing

The flaps - I now have etched, resin and plastic flaps. I'm intending to model them closed, so I suspect I'll go with the Revell parts

All this for £15 - bargain!

Richard

Yep, close ups give no quarter Richard do they, but it’s looking great.  I’ve just managed to get a True Details cockpit set for my Echelon Hunter, the one for sale on eBay is still there and I’ve managed to resist so far! 

4 minutes ago, mozart said:

Yep, close ups give no quarter Richard do they, but it’s looking great.  I’ve just managed to get a True Details cockpit set for my Echelon Hunter, the one for sale on eBay is still there and I’ve managed to resist so far! 

AM cockpits are odd stuff. When doing a build, a well finished cockpit seems to be vitally important. On a finished 'plane it's rarely the cockpit that is the interesting part. I've sneaked a few bits onto the sidewalls to break the plain surfaces, otherwise I think the top of the ejector seat is far more important

If I can get the 'fitting the gun pod' thing right, I doubt the cockpit will be the focus of interest

Richard

Edited by RLWP

'I know, I'll cut out the panels under the cockpit - what could possibly go wrong?'

DSCF1839.JPG

DSCF1840.JPG

The answer is - the front fuselage defines the shape of the front of the rear fuselage. Left to itself, the rear goes elliptical and becomes too tall. Plan A meant that there wasn't enough front left to hold the rear to the right shape. So I took it apart again

DSCF1841.JPG

This new bulkhead holds the fuselage in shape and provides a flat surface to attach the front section to. Simple - as long as you leave out the engine inlet ducts...

Richard