Vigilante

Dandiego

Progress

I have added a small tab that protrudes out over the flap. Forgot to design it into the print. So a little sanding and filing to make a recess for the tab to sit in.

Hv7zXhg.jpg

Next are the insides of the intakes. The surface is a little rough and hard to sand smooth. So I have cut thin sheet plastic, 15 thou, that will line the inside of the intake. Use only Ca glue as any solvent will melt the thin plastic.

2hwbJtU.jpg

s3NUpTn.jpg

Leave a small amount hanging out the back end, as this will tuck into the intake interior part a provide a seamless look from the front.

EEUwNKa.jpg?1

Dry fit the intake interior.

HdCxfZF.jpg

Later, Dan

Edited by Dandiego

More progress....

Working on the intakes.

Outer and inner intake.

dUzSHBK.jpg

Engine faces, a little rough but you can hardly see them once installed. When I went to Orangecon a few weeks ago only one person took the time to look into the intakes. So....just not that noticeable.

YeThIce.jpg?1

Intakes glued in place with tube glue. Thin plastic shims to fill the gap.

v26nQN4.jpg?1

Mid-canopy bow.

o61kODs.jpg

Cockpit next.

Dan

Small progress...

I did not get the front canopy right, yet. So here I am. I have filled the front canopy with Bondo and will reshape to get the curve into the clear section that I have so far failed to capture. If I get the shape right I still will have to successfully vacform the new part. By no means a sure thing.

xwjallh.jpg?1

Cockpit section. I have added sheet plastic to the tops of the consoles in preparation for 3d cockpit placards.

abbSlOA.jpg

Main fuselage, puttied, sanded and primed more times than I care to say.

DYtExIF.jpg

Dan

Some more work on the cockpit. I have skinned many of the console surfaces For a better appearance when painted. I have also added the cockpit ribs onto a thin piece of plastic sheet. These will be detailed and painted before the cockpit is glued in place. You can also see the "Equipment Bench" in the rear cockpit. Maybe not 100% correct but I want a "busy" look.

2oqQmE9.jpg?1

8yMBCiR.jpg

rR7baM6.jpg?1

And last for today 12 bombs. These are from the Minicraft F-16, never throw away anything. They are molded as inert so I will need to add 3D printed fuzes.

fNN7vZM.jpg?1

Dan

14 hours ago, Jim Barry said:

Rock on!

I have Bullpup AGMs and drop tanks as my load out plans. 

Did you mean Bullpups or drops.  A-5A had only two hard points.  Only the RA-5C had four hard points.  Four pylons on the bomber version takes you into what-if territory.

More work on the cockpit.

Here you can see the cockpit side walls.

T0Ykuq4.jpg

And one wall in the back in place.

GLAbyhP.jpg?1

More work on a new vacform shape for the improved front canopy.ACnlyQi.jpg?1

And last for today here is the pilots instrument cowl. I have slathered it with putty in order to get the smoothest appearance when painted.

niIIapE.jpg?1

Dan

17 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

I'm wondering if it is not possible to use resin Phantom wheels. The diameter of the main wheels looks very similar.

I am not sure about that but let me know if it works out.

I will say that my nose wheel is not that good. I have replaced mine with a resin nose wheel from an A-7. Fits perfectly. 

Dan

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

I'm wondering if it is not possible to use resin Phantom wheels. The diameter of the main wheels looks very similar.

Early F-15 main wheels work pretty well.  I think mine are Scott’s GT Resin.  F-15 nosewheel might fit but it may be too small.   I’m also looking at trying to make F-15 intake trunks fit.  The engines are mounted aft of the main gear wells on a Viggie but I doubt if you can see that far back on the model so it all may come to naught.