Vigilante

Dandiego

Tail colors. I have been thinking. If I paint multiple tails in different colors I could change from one squadron to another. Well at least for the test birds. And I can print out as many tails as I want.

uhzz2kN.jpg?1

Never liked the green VX-5 green tail stripe, but.................

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

Oh man, i'm flabbergasted, this is really superfantastic , i'm officially envious since in the past i was trying to have a Vigilante made out of just straight good old fashioned scratchbuilding, and it went the do-do's way (my fault), i'm really impressed how it turned out to be the way you tackled it.......

Jack.....

10 minutes ago, Jack said:

Oh man, i'm flabbergasted, this is really superfantastic , i'm officially envious since in the past i was trying to have a Vigilante made out of just straight good old fashioned scratchbuilding, and it went the do-do's way (my fault), i'm really impressed how it turned out to be the way you tackled it.......

Jack.....

Thanks Jack. 

Still fine-tuning the design but eventually I will offer this for sale. So if you still have that same enthusiasm for the Vigi hold on just a little longer.

Be warned this bird is big. 25 inches long, 20 inch wingspan. 

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

Some of the items I'm amazed by with your build:

1)  I can't figure out how you smoothed the printed surfaces and then scribed into them without chipping out the putty(?).

2)  I'm amazed that you could even print out the small pieces on an FDM printer.

3)  This is the best prototype I've ever seen.

16 minutes ago, daveculp said:

Some of the items I'm amazed by with your build:

1)  I can't figure out how you smoothed the printed surfaces and then scribed into them without chipping out the putty(?).

2)  I'm amazed that you could even print out the small pieces on an FDM printer.

3)  This is the best prototype I've ever seen.

1. Lots of sanding. 100 grit and I used my orbital woodworking sander. 

2. Small parts are quite rough, need lots of work.

3. Thanks.

Dan

Some progress.

Windscreen has been glued on. Everything masked off and a first coat of Gull grey has been applied. Lots of work, repairs will be needed. I will be trying to replicate a sun bleached China Lake bird, so lots of post shading to go on all colors. Sorry for the over exposure.

DmWgbBC.jpg?1

LN7uQDR.jpg?1

I have been working on designing and printing the exhaust tubes/nozzles. First print, many improvements to be implemented.

6YNcs7r.jpg?1

Thanks for looking, Dan

6 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Love it, Dan. I'll bet you can see the finish line from here.

Kev

Kevin, thanks for the comments. Well I do see the finish line, but I see lots of other things too.

Poor surface prep, too much heavy primer, and a rushed paint job. But, this is only the first prototype. I see needed improvements in almost every printed part, and I see the need to change up the construction sequence. 

I have already begun prep work on a second model, learning from my mistakes. I will definitely change primers and surface prep techniques. Second build should go quite fast as I now have all of the parts.

Dan