Vigilante

Dandiego

This is a very ambitious project and mostly uncharted territory.  Do you think you could have gotten this far without 3D printing?  As square and boxy as a Vigilante is, it still would be a hard airplane to scratch build the “old” way.  Were it me, I would have run out of want-to a long time ago.

3 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

This is a very ambitious project and mostly uncharted territory.  Do you think you could have gotten this far without 3D printing?  As square and boxy as a Vigilante is, it still would be a hard airplane to scratch build the “old” way.  Were it me, I would have run out of want-to a long time ago.

Could I have gotten this far without 3d printing? No, ...well probably not. I have scratch built before and the models turned out OK. But 3d printing fron CAD files is very exact and by " mirroring " both sides are exact copies of the other. With accurate profiles you can model almost anything, just takes practice. 

Dan

One step forward,

Main gear legs have been glued in place.

Y1ts2Hb.jpg?1

However once I flipped her over and looked at "the sit " I realized that the Starboard wing was not level. I was drooping at least 10 mm. Very noticeable. 

So out came the Dremel with a cutting disk. I cut a groove in the top surface where the wing and fuselage meet. I them applied pressure until the joint gave way. Here you can see my rig for holding the wing level while the epoxy dries. Hopefully this will fix the problem. A little putty and some sanding and I should be ready for main paint colors in a day or so.

Psyk6tF.jpg?1

Anyway, onwards and upwards, Dan

Edited by Dandiego

Oops.............I did it again.

More Red/Orange. After nearly 9 months I have a desire to wrap up this prototype. It won't be perfect, far from it. I am taking notes and creating a "punchlist" of problems to fix and improvements to make. Also I have not painted anything for almost a year and it shows. I am experimenting with acrylic paints for the first time and breaking in a new airbrush..............long story short, the paint job could be better.

I have sent out a complete kit to a trusted builder who has already given me valuable feedback. Still hope to produce a kit that will sell to committed and passionate Vigi fans. But I am still a ways off.

Anyway, for your viewing pleasure my Orange and White Creamsicle. Gull grey to follow in a few days.

wa4XbF8.jpg?1

2bXyPie.jpg?1

Dan

Nothing like a little international red orange to start your morning off right.  A wee factoid:  the first Viggies (four, I think) to arrive at NAS Sanford previously were test vehicles and had variations of this paint scheme which was immediately stripped/overpainted to standard gray over white except for the orange tail.  Heavy Three took them on inventory where they became trainers for the RAG.  After years of daily exposure to Whales, the Viggies were quite the thing - sleek, snarky looking and very loud.  Heavy Three even had a couple of hump backed A-5Cs without the camera canoe for a while until the entire inventory switched to RA-5Cs.  Those were the good old days.  Here’s hoping you can make this thing work and maybe make it available to the rest of us.