Vigilante

Dandiego

2 hours ago, Dandiego said:

Obg, yes it is the subtle curves that will make or break the appearance of this model. I am slowly getting there. I still think that the nose is too " chunky". The nose profile is what I would call a squared oval. I have confidence that I will get it right.  Strangely the more references I have the more difficult it becomes. Which source is the best when they don't always agree. Final judge of accuracy is me, does it look right to me.

Currently building a prototype model. I am sure that this is the first of many. Hopefully each getting a little better. 

Still to be realized,  cockpits, seats, landing gear, canopies, tailcone. Not really worried about the flying surfaces. They look quite straight forward. 

Dan

Yep.  Roger all the above.  The lines from square to pointy are smooth and continuous without obvious breaks anywhere.  The top of the nose is pretty flat and angles down a bit so the driver can see the boat better.  Back when I was considering what you are actually doing, I took a long look at using F-15 gear struts.  Wouldn’t take much to make them “close enough.”  Seats are pure NAA and look more like monkey bars than an ejection seat - never seen anything else that looks like ‘em.  As far as the windscreen and canopy go, I was thinking it might be possible to cut up a D-model Mustang canopy and use the pointy end for the windscreen.  Canopy could be smashed or cut from something else that is close.  Of course, 3D printing probably makes these ideas moot, but I’m old school and sticking to it.

Re-evaluate and re-do.

I received some very detailed 1:32 drawings from TomcatKirby and have printed them out. My impression that the nose looked "chunky" have been proven true. Everything forward of the leading edge of the intakes is too wide. I didn't get the taper of the fuselage right as it transitions into the nose cone and that made everything too fat. 

So back to the cad program to resize the profiles. I was shooting from the hip thinking that I could get it right. Close but.....no.

Anyway best to make the changes now.

I have also received some 3d scans from a kind Lsp'er and have downloaded them to both Meshmixer and Fusion. These are just test scans of some random objects. He was testing his scanner, I will see what it takes to manipulate the scans in order to print them out. I will say that the scans themselves seem adequately detailed to produce some nice parts. Just need to take the next step.

Dan

3D scanning is something I haven't tried yet, Dan.  Do you cut the part in half along a plane of symmetry, smooth the mesh, and then mirror the part again?

Also, do you think we might have use for a 3D printing forum category?  There seems to be enough of us doing it now.

Dave

5 hours ago, daveculp said:

3D scanning is something I haven't tried yet, Dan.  Do you cut the part in half along a plane of symmetry, smooth the mesh, and then mirror the part again?

Also, do you think we might have use for a 3D printing forum category?  There seems to be enough of us doing it now.

Dave

Good questions Dave. Here are my answers. In no particular order. 

I don't know. 

I don't know. 

And, I don't know. 

This is all new to me. Not sure where to start, except to watch lots of YouTube videos.

I have downloaded some sample scans into Fusion. I need to dimension the scans and give them thickness. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

Ok it's been about a week, what's new.

Well I have been working on the nose. The profiles just didn't look right so I have been refining. After about 8 different configurations I am finally happy with this one.

I have grafted the Bondo nose from the previous attempts. Still sanding and primer to be sure but this looks quite close to the real deal.

kJCXPWM.jpg?1

ug9tTCI.jpg?1

Now I will need to start working on the windscreen. Buckle up!

Dan

On 11/12/2021 at 9:56 AM, daveculp said:

Dave

I would certainly utilize that, though it could probably fall under tips & techniques.

Some concept work on the windscreen.  

I don't do vacform very well, so anytime I can come up with something different that works it is a win.

So here are 2 pictures. What have I done? I have taken an old forward fuselage section and cut a windscreen shaped chunk out. Below that I have glued in a flat plastic plate. I then cut up a plastic soda bottle into a rough shape and jammed it in place. The plastic from the soda bottle already has a curve to it, but I pinched it down a litte bit and then let it spring back. The sides of the fuselage cut hold it in place. There is no glue on the windscreen at this point.  I think this might work.

nTtjuuP.jpg?1

4Wxo00R.jpg?1

When I have the logistics all worked out I will modify the 3d part to incorporate these changes.

Dan