Vigilante

Dandiego

6 hours ago, blackbetty said:

what model of printer was the cheap one and is it usable? 

My printer is a Flashforge Finder. It is a "cube" printer, which means that is an 18 inch cube . Red and black plastic, it's print stage is 5.25" X 5.25" x5.25". The print stage in my opinion is a little on the small side considering that I am printing 1:32 scale aircraft. 

It has proven to be a great starter machine for the complete novice. Just unpack it, plug it in, level the bed ( there step by step instructions), import your item, and print.

Here in the US it sells for about $280.

Are there bigger and badder and more complicated machines? You bet, but this has worked well for me. You can see what I have been able to produce. 

Right now my prints are only as good as my cad abilities. My analogy would be this, I could buy the same golf clubs that Tiger Woods uses but that doesn't make me a good golfer. Practice first, (cad), and then when you have good designing skills buy a better machine.

It has taken me 2 years of off and on efforts to get this far. My wife can tell you there have been days when I pounded the desk in frustration working with Fusion 360. Is it that hard? Or am I just that dense?

There are many youtube videos on using Fusion 360, they are a great help, but once again, practice makes perfect. There several video series specifically about designing model aircraft that will really get your juices flowing.

Hope that helps, Dan

Ps:  I am surprised that someone, a good cad designer, hasn't started a 3d model subscription service. Design a aircraft, sell the files to the hobbyist to download and let them print it at home. Yes I know that you can buy some files online but they aren't really ready to download and press print. However I might try one in the near future and see how it goes.

Edited by Dandiego

You are doing an inspiring job. Really..

I wish I had the time (and the ability for sure) to get into this CAD and 3D printing stuff, too many possibilites there only if you know how to grab them.

You should not worry too much about the accuracy. Creating "the thing" is the primary objective here, I think. There is always the possibility to improve the design once you have it look like a Vigilante.

Here you go again.  Do you have access to a warehouse to display all these beauties?  Commercial real estate has been cheap in Sandy Eggo lately but sheesh!

Have you seen this?  Entertaining watch if you like to get a glimpse of how these jets were operated.

1 hour ago, Timmy! said:

Here you go again.  Do you have access to a warehouse to display all these beauties?  Commercial real estate has been cheap in Sandy Eggo lately but sheesh!

Have you seen this?  Entertaining watch if you like to get a glimpse of how these jets were operated.

Thanks for the video. Not sure where all of these go. What can I say, I like to build big.

Dan

Ok a little more designing/printing.

Here are the extended air intakes and turbine faces.

Z5eBpVf.jpg?1

Fit is great.

8eMVVUa.jpg?1

I have glued the front of the intakes to the fuselage core. I have also started to sand and fill the surfaces.

5CTaOBY.jpg?1

FtNGTTn.jpg?1

Thanks, Dan

Edited by Dandiego

And a little more. 

I have been working on the MLG bays. Not too hard but wasn't easy either. Here is the first one. I use the first one to test the fit. 

U9Kq1pt.jpg?1

And here it is in place. Fit is good so I can now add more detail inside and then when I am happy with it I will have the computer create a mirror image.

IpDlf8s.jpg?1

Thanks, Dan

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

Great work Dan.

Remind me, are you using Fusion 360?

Yes Fusion 360. Jump in........

There is a series of 30 videos  posted by a fellow named Kevin Kennedy.  These are for the absolute beginner. I only watched the first 10 or so as I felt that these contained those skills that I would need to do what I wanted to do. He will have you creating objects in less than 20 minutes, after that you are probably hooked.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

It keeps getting bigger...... 19 inches tall/long.

Another section added to the aft end. I have also provided slots for the tail surfaces to slide into.

4lN0nct.jpg?1

H69IwcD.jpg?1

Improved and detailed wheel wells are printing now.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

7 minutes ago, Troy Molitor said:

I love these one-off projects.  Thanks for sharing your hard earned efforts.  Looking good too!  

One-off????

Once I have all of the cad files to my liking I can print as many as I want. Perhaps change the files to produce a photo bird??

Dan

16 minutes ago, mattcour said:

Such a beautiful project, looking forward to see it come more :clap2:

How do you plan to make the canopy?

Canopy.......hmmmm.

Not sure yet. I have a small vacuform box. So that will probably be my first choice. Rear canopy should be easy as it is mostly solid with just a small window. Windscreen, I have an idea but will need to see. Front canopy will be the most difficult. 

Dan