Vigilante

Dandiego

Ok, progress continues.

Here are the intakes dry fitted to the fuselage box. I am not 100% sure that I have the intakes correct. I am now printing the section of the fuselage that goes between the intakes. That should give me a better idea if the intakes are shaped correctly. I am however pleased with the fit between the intakes and the fuselage box.

9vVKA3q.jpg?1

yk8ZKPr.jpg?1

Later, Dan

Edited by Dandiego

You need to watch out for the particular airframe modeled- A3Js intakes had straight edges on the outboard side, but concave curves on the inboard edge. Early RAs had outboard edges that were convex in profile, and still concave on the inboard edges... the last batch of RAs, the 156 series, had intakes like yours. 

Edited by Lee White

A little bit more....

I have printed the portion of the fuselage between the intakes. This section goes as far forward as the rear wall of  the aft cockpit. I have also designed and printed a bracket that slips over the central keel on both parts. The fit is quite tight and this will work well. I did not anticipate this bracket and therefore did not allow cutouts in the central keel. The farther I go the more design elements I realize that I would like to incorporate into the parts. Almost looks like this is the test prototype and that I will need to improve or re-design most parts.

Oh well. Kind of what I expected.

dkdHB5F.jpg?1

DZRuhkC.jpg?1

bjN1Ml8.jpg?1

YQ8d5Nm.jpg?1

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

36 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Super interesting to follow Dan!  That is my modeling goal within the next few years is to get acquainted with CAD and start the uphill learning curve. 

Looking forward to more

Well Brian here is my journey to where I am now.

I received a low end printer for a gift 2 years ago. My reaction,  wow, super, crap.

Why crap, because I am not a computer nerd and I knew that I would need to learn cad. That was a daunting undertaking for me.

I started with Tinkercad, don't go there,  it's like cad with crayons. Download Fusion 360, it's free for hobbyists. Watch a few YouTube tutorials and start drawing. For me there was, and still is, a steep learning curve. But you get better by doing. I wish there was a local source for in person Fusion 360 classes. They would be of great benefit.

I can design and print simple shapes. Anything with complex compound curves is beyond my ability.....for now. One of the reasons I chose the Vigi was because of its sleek yet boxy shape. The nose and tail of the Vigi will test my abilities. 

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

Next step is the cockpit section.

I have dry fit a few seats from the spares box, just because.

XcLUH8e.jpg?1

3wJNMkX.jpg?1

MA0nR1L.jpg?1

9DQrVFa.jpg?1

This section was relatively easy to design, only 2.5 hours to print. Not sure if I have all of the curves right. Questionable at the forward end. 

Dan