Specifics of Old new tool Revell P 51 please?

Citadelgrad

I know that the Revell Germany P 51D-5NA Early, kit 03944, is a decent kit, not Tamiya, but pretty good according to some.

I have also heard that the difference between this kit and the "earlier" Revell P51 D is the decals, and they are both the newer mold version.

My issue is, which earlier one is the similar one?  My LHS has the 03944 for about $50, but another kit marked P51D-5NA, No. 85-5989 (which implies it's maybe a 1985 kit?) in a regular lift top box, for much less, about $31 out the door.

I would like to make certain that this is the correct kit, meaning new tool but differing in decals?  The pricing and the kit number raise my spidey sense.

Thanks  

It appears that one (03944) is Revell USA while the other (85-5989) is Revell of Germany.  Same kit, different marking options. Other than that, I don't know much about either.

After viewing K2's link it appears I have the numbers reversed....03944 is Revell of Germany and 85-5989 is Revell USA.

Edited by Juggernut

10 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

According to our own kit database, 85-5989 is one of the boxings of the new tooled kit.

Revell P-51D

Well, I try to learn something new each day.

I didn't even know there WAS a kit database.  I am constantly referencing the reviews section when I find a kit, but this is new to me. 

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Citadelgrad said:

Well, I try to learn something new each day.

I didn't even know there WAS a kit database.  I am constantly referencing the reviews section when I find a kit, but this is new to me. 

Thanks!

Here's the public access kit database in its entirety, easily searchable too. (Not the admin link.)

Our Kit Database is a highly-valuable resource, and in many cases more reliable that Scalemates when it comes to LSP stuff. It is, however, sadly in need of some work, which has been planned for a long time, but I've just never found the time. That should be changing next year, and I'm hoping to really beef it up and bring it to its full potential.

Kev

For what it's worth, the two kits mentioned are identical, aside from decals. The Revell of Germany kit has more precise decals, including cockpit placards, that are not included in the Revell USA boxing. The RoG decals, however, are not glossy which turns some folks off. The plastic, however, is identical. Hope this helps.

18 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Our Kit Database is a highly-valuable resource, and in many cases more reliable that Scalemates when it comes to LSP stuff. It is, however, sadly in need of some work, which has been planned for a long time, but I've just never found the time. That should be changing next year, and I'm hoping to really beef it up and bring it to its full potential.

Kev

It´s a great resource, thanks! I also tend to forget about it for some reason... But recently had great use of it when the linked builds helped me with some pics of a P-47M..

Interested to see what happens in the future.. :)

Edited by Paramedic
P-57M ---> P-47M, oops

10 hours ago, Paramedic said:

It´s a great resource, thanks! I also tend to forget about it for some reason... But recently had great use of it when the linked builds helped me with some pics of a P-57M..

Interested to see what happens in the future.. :)

There was a time when I was adding a ton of data to the kits database, mostly linking the reviews, finished articles and references to individual kits, but I eventually ran out of interesting stuff to work on, so haven't touched it in quite some time.

2 hours ago, Model_Monkey said:

The RoG P-51 is a fine kit.  And for around $35, a bargain.

Yes, mine had some fit issues but nothing awful, and nothing that a little TLC couldn't fix.  From one Citadel grad to another, it was $35 well spent.

Awesome, thanks!

N Co, '87.  Seems like a lifetime ago.