Recent purchases from Model Bau Keonig to UK

SimonCornes

Just a quick query to anyone who has recently bought stuff from MBK and who is based in the U.K. - have you been tapped for import duty and handling charges? 

Im looking at the Border-nut Lanc. The price says includes VAT so I’m wondering if they have an agreement with HMRC? If so then great, if not then a chance of a 20% extra!!

Thanks

Simon

Edited by SimonCornes

• SimonCornes changed the title to Recent purchases from Model Bau Keonig to UK

Hi Simon.

I ordered the Das Werk 1/16 Stug kit a  couple of months ago as a pre order and the invoice I was sent by email confirmed the VAT element was paid and included in the order. As such, there should be no nasty surprises when it arrives in the UK.

Cheer  mate

Gary

23 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Why not asking them directly? They have a good customer service.

I have Thierry but they seem to be reluctant to reply! That was after I asked them about postage and received reply so the ball his now in their court about Vat.

I wonder if you can bite the bullet and just ask HMRC if MKB pay VAT to them for sales into the UK. No doubt that would be too difficult to establish!!

As for Vat generally, the listing says the price includes VAT but doesn't clarify if it German for British!

15 hours ago, Gary Needham said:

Hi Simon.

I ordered the Das Werk 1/16 Stug kit a  couple of months ago as a pre order and the invoice I was sent by email confirmed the VAT element was paid and included in the order. As such, there should be no nasty surprises when it arrives in the UK.

Cheer  mate

Gary

That's interesting Gary, thanks for that - I am teetering on the brink!! 

On 10/19/2021 at 12:33 PM, SimonCornes said:

Im looking at the Border-nut Lanc. The price says includes VAT so I’m wondering if they have an agreement with HMRC? If so then great, if not then a chance of a 20% extra!!

Thanks

Simon

You won’t pay the VAT twice (called MWST in Germany).

I don’t remember the details but if the item ( and shipping? ) is less than £135

the tax is collected by the exporting retailer, and I believe is then given to UK HMRC.

If the item if more than £135, the item is zero rated by the exporter and the tax is collected from the importing consumer by the courier company, for which they make a charge.

I don’t know if model kits made from plastic attract a 4% import duty or not.