Mottle Camouflage for BF-109E-4/7 (North Africa)

George

I thought about a lot of different ways to do that camo on my what-if 335. In the end, the best way it seemed to achieve the result desired, was to plot and plan the spacing, then set the airbrush on a fin/low PSI setting and do all the outlines first and then go back and fill the blotches in.

In my case, I used a bit if an unconventional way, by using some various sized stickers from the local Hobby Lobby to get the size and spacing correct prior to spraying the actual blotches.

20190309_172751-XL.jpg

After laying this down, I used a pencil to lightly trace the shape of each blotch so it was where I wanted it, and it fit well shape wise:

20190309_194314-X3.jpg

Then, I just started coloring the blotches in, outlines first, then filled them in one at a time.

20190311_170500-X3.jpg

There are a LOT of ways to do this camo, mine is a bit unconventional but worked well. Also, it really helps spraying a high quality paint. In my case I shoot exclusively MRP, and it lays down nothing short of a dream for me.

YMMV, and hope this helps in some way. 

Freehand mottling is the best.  Once done painting, wet sand with some very fine micromesh (6k to 12K grit) held under your fingers.  Don't use a sanding block.  This will remove some of your over-spray and add some stress to the paint.  Be careful not to take off too much paint.  If you do, you can just touch it up with the airbrush.

hey George,

I think you will achieve best results by freehand airbrushing, with careful study of period photos

these are fairly well photographed aircraft so you should be able to piece together the whole airframe / have a reasonable idea

JG27 Black 8 Ready For Inspection pics here at LSP - by no means a definitive rendition, but hopefully gives you a feel for what's possible (MRP paints for the win ;))

cheers

Nick

10 hours ago, Francis said:

BTW George, if I'm not mistaken, the E models in NA where painted in Italian colors.

i'm not sure you will notice any difference once the aircraft is weathered appropriately - 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2021 at 5:11 PM, Neo said:

I personally take 2 expresso's the. Try to airbrush strait lines. Works magic! 

Also ive been using black basing technique allot lately and its an amazing trainer to motheling

Now that's funny...but then again, that just might work!