How dirty is your Harvard

On 10/16/2021 at 1:23 PM, ivanmoe said:

Couple of WAVES applying copious amounts of soap and elbow grease to an SNJ. Check out the suds on the tires/wheels:

80-G-K-15001-copy.jpg

Is it my imagination, or were women more slender back then?

Is it my imagination, or is that white paint on the wheels and tires and not suds?

The airplane looks to be gray over white in which case I think there is precedent for painting the tires white like the underside. Seems like I saw a photo of a PBY with main gear painted the same color as the side of the airplane.  Might have been something else or maybe I just made it up.  Old farts do that sometimes.

9 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

The airplane looks to be gray over white in which case I think there is precedent for painting the tires white like the underside. Seems like I saw a photo of a PBY with main gear painted the same color as the side of the airplane.  Might have been something else or maybe I just made it up.  Old farts do that sometimes.

For 'suds' it's very precise - all on the door and the side of the wheel and tyre, none on the tread or the floor

Looks like white paint to me!

Richard

More SNJ pictures from Jacksonville, circa 1943:

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

The gal wearing the service dress cap is Aviation Machinist's Mate 3rd Class Violet Falkum. The first pic was used in a Navy recruiting poster. Dirty old trainer perhaps, but those are some clean tires!

34 minutes ago, mozart said:

Is she supposed to be swinging the prop in the first pic?  Not on a Harvard surely.....not the ones I've flown in anyway!

On the electric television currently is an advert for someone 'wanting to become an engineer' through some scheme or other. In one part she is clearly using a ratchet spanner, putting it onto a bolt on a machine and turning it the wrong way. It makes a lovely clicking noise and that's all

Photographers no nothing about engineering

Richard