Trumpeter 1/32 SBD-3 Dauntless - Lt Richard Best 4th June 1942

Whitey

After watching the new "Midway" movie last year I decided to build USN Lt Richard Best's SBD-3, that he flew twice from USS Enterprise, on 4th June 1942 to sink the IJN carriers Kaga and Hiryu.

IMG_5317%20(2)-X2.jpg

Its a really nice kit, but I didn't particularly like the clear fuselage. Nothing wrong with it but just hard to see if seams are covered until undercoat applied. Painted with a combination of SMS, MRP and Mr Hobby acrylic laquers and then weathered with oils and hard pastells.

Yahu instrument panel, EZE line antenna, MasterCasters wheels and Master gun barrels.

IMG_5326-X3.jpg

Some light fading on the upper surfaces, but these aircraft were new when they boarded Enterprise immediately before the Battle of Midway so not too much to do.

IMG_5320-X3.jpg

My model depicts what the aircraft may have looked like after returning from the first attack and ready for the second sortie. The rear guns would have been stowed but I wanted to be able to see them.

IMG_5322-X3.jpg

IMG_5324-X3.jpg

IMG_5318-X3.jpg

IMG_5321-X3.jpg

Enjoy.

Great job! Weathering is very nicely done!

May I post it on the website?

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

FYI: If you can find someone parting out a SBD-5 on eBay, the -5 fuselage parts are identical to the -3 parts and then you don't have to deal with the clear plastic (except for the cowl which is clear in all their SBD kits).  

• 4 weeks later...