TRUMPETER 3205 F/A-18F AFT COCKPIT

katana

Gentlemen, 

I am recently focussing on a new project I have in mind : The Trumpeter 03205  F/A-18F (doubleseater). When comparing  the Trump 03205 F/A-18F  and the 03206 F/A-18G kits ,

I discovered that the "aircraft "sprues in both boxes are identical.   You CAN build an F/A-18F- model out of a F/A-18G Growler kit.  But not the opposite.

The Growler has (also) an additional  "P"-sprue  which includes the ALQ-218 Wing Pods , the AN-ALQ99 Jamming Pods  and the Post lot 26 Advanced Crew Station (ACS) Glareshield.  

In the Trump instructions the aft cockpits differ from eachother. The F-model has the PRE Lot 26-ACS glareshield while the G-model has the POST Lot 26 ACS glareshield. 

Difference between those 2 glareshields : in the pre -Lot 26 cockpits, the Up Front Control Display (UFCD)is located UNDER the Multi Purpose Color Display("big center screen"). The glare shield is straight lined on the upper side.

In a Post Lot-26 / post ACS Hornet , the UFCD is located above the NEW , bigger 8x10 inch Multi Purpose Color Display screen. Hence the square extension in the new glarteshield.

How does this affect  1/32 modelling ?

Long story in short : Where as trumpeter made different glareshields for their FA-18F and FA-18G Aft Cockpits, since the introduction of the ACS ( post 26 lot) you can make an F/A-18F Aft Cockpit with the glareshield from the 03206 F/A-18G kit.  

Hint : want to make a "recent " F/A-18F with new decals  ?      With a post ACS/-lot 26 cockpit ?      And you don't mind about lacking the (extra)weapons from the F-kit ?   

Buy a F/A 18G Growlet kit !  It's cheaper ....

All easy to say but to be honest  : to make this comparison, I compared both the instructions of the TRUMP 3205 and 3206 kits, and most of all : 

I have read the magnificent F/A-18 E-F-G "Second Edition" Bible from Reid Air Productions. 

If you  are going to build BIG Super Hornets  , THATs the book you should have. 

To Jake Mellampy :  my deepest respect to bundle all that info  and all these beautiful color pictures in 1 book.  Gosh !!What am I saying ? this applies to ALL your books ......

Have a nice day

Katana 

1 minute ago, RNoAF said:

We really need an aftermarket cockpit for the Trumpeter Super Hornet. 

Red Fox Studio has already released 3D cockpit decal sets for all three of the Trumpeter kits, and Quinta Studios is releasing one for the E, so it’s likely to be followed up by ones for the F and G kits.

13 minutes ago, RNoAF said:

But are the 3D cockpit decal set better than painting the cockpit?

Like with most things in life, it's down to personal choice. Below is the Red Fox F/A-18F set, how many hours straining your eyes under a magnifier would it take to achieve a similar result, and would it be enjoyable?

9938c549638967af93a905183d7c3d6f.jpg

18 minutes ago, RNoAF said:

But are the 3D cockpit decal set better than painting the cockpit?

I guess that depends on how well you can paint and detail the cockpit yourself.

https://rfstudio.hu/termek/209

https://www.hobbynutmodels.com/collections/3d-print-detail/products/1-32-f-a-18e-3d-printed-interior-for-trumpeter-kit-32080

I’ve owned Quinta and Red Fox stuff. I much prefer Quinta, the printing is a much higher fidelity. I found the Red Fox stuff to be quite similar to Eduard in that you could see the dots in the printing. And they are a touch pricy compared to Quinta, who provide belts as a rule too. I’ll wait and see if Quinta release a set for the F, I’m hoping they do so and the Academy Hornets.

54 minutes ago, katana said:

Hello Ade , 

may I ask what kind of decals you're going to apply ? 

I’ll be getting a set of these https://www.reidairpublishing.com/speed-hunter-graphics-132-decals/big-scale-supers

There’s DXM Decals who do a sheet also if you like VFA 103 Stuff.

I was tempted by the VFA 211 scheme on this sheet too, I’ve always had a soft spot for that Squadrons markings, I may yet go for it. https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/decals/ab/decal_ab_32003.shtml