Mr.William Shatner Goes into Space.Full Video.

MARU5137

You know, Shatner makes a good point in his interview:  he was there for the view, not the rush.  While all the others were focused inward and preoccupied with a couple of minutes of giddy weightlessness, they missed the obvious like teenagers banging on their phones while walking through the Louvre.  He spent his time glued to the window looking at the home planet from a perspective he likely could not have imagined just an hour before.  When they landed, all the others hopped out with much the same reactions as people who have just made a tandem skydive on their birthday, but Shatner was, I think, still savoring the moment and was much more contemplative.  Maybe it was because he is nearly a century old; maybe he was deeply moved by the experience.  I’d like to think it was the latter.  If Bezos, Musk, et al are going to do this, they ought to fill their seats with more Shatners and fewer giggling elites bouncing around the cabin if they expect to move humans off the planet and into the void.

On 10/14/2021 at 6:21 AM, AlanG said:

I despair at these flights. In this day and age of climate change awareness, we allow overpaid talentless actors (and other rich idiots) to burn a bucket full of fuel by going into space, emitting god knows how much CO2 to prove what exactly? Nothing. I'm all for space exploration if it will further mankind and help us keep this planet alive.

But doing it like this grabs my gonads.

I feel your pain Alan, a part of me thinks that sending nonagenarians into space is a complete waste of time and money, but another part of me loves the fact that there’s finally some great competition in space flight, and hopefully this will lead to bringing the cost of real science missions down to a (relatively) affordable level.

OldBaldGuy.

I'd be like Mr.Shatner... glued to the windows to absorb and take in the beauty and the spectacular vista of  the galaxy  and our Lovely planet Earth. :yahoo:  :thumbsup:    and if possible attempt to photograph  those WONDROUS  and Mesmerising phenomenon from up there !!

:wub:

William Shatner  used his wisdom to see the Earth and its beauty; while the others not only missed that opportunity to do so,  but that they just wanted to feel what it looks like to float! ( :doh:).

To see the curvature /curve of the Earth and its PHENOMENAL  beauty must have been breathtaking.

William Shatner did.

:thumbsup:

Wasting time floating about but really missing the point of seeing the Galaxy and Our Planet from Space would I think have given the others  the once in a lifetime to see how Our planet looks like and needs!

(Yep those rich folks can always pay again and go back !! ).

Dave Williams said  Quote"look good, but he’s not moving around too well.  Yeah, he’s 90 and it really showed.  When they were weightless, everyone else is floating around and having fun, and he just slowly gets out of his seat and looks out of the window like a lonely old man".

I don't think he's a lonely old man at all.... if anything  he's a wise old man using this once in a lifetime opportunity  to gaze upon the wonder  of the space, The Earth and enjoying that ... the others will not be able to say or describe what the EARTH looked like or what they saw "because they were floating around having fun.. But Mr. Shatner can and did..

I think he was humbled  by what he saw and witnessed and spoke eloquently  with emotion   and from the heart. 

I am sure he's been interrupted by many people in his profession and I thought he took it in his stride.

And I think also he was very emotional about the flight to space.

:bow:

"The Best and most beautiful  things in the World cannot be seen or even touched,  But must be felt with the Heart".

Mr Shatner did ..

20 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

You know, Shatner makes a good point in his interview:  he was there for the view, not the rush.  While all the others were focused inward and preoccupied with a couple of minutes of giddy weightlessness, they missed the obvious like teenagers banging on their phones while walking through the Louvre.  He spent his time glued to the window looking at the home planet from a perspective he likely could not have imagined just an hour before.  When they landed, all the others hopped out with much the same reactions as people who have just made a tandem skydive on their birthday, but Shatner was, I think, still savoring the moment and was much more contemplative.  Maybe it was because he is nearly a century old; maybe he was deeply moved by the experience.  I’d like to think it was the latter.  If Bezos, Musk, et al are going to do this, they ought to fill their seats with more Shatners and fewer giggling elites bouncing around the cabin if they expect to move humans off the planet and into the void.

Yes, with age comes wisdom — for some, anyway.

Just not sure I would like to ride in what resembles a large phallus.

Tony

On 10/14/2021 at 12:22 PM, eoyguy said:

I get the feeling that a lot of the resentment of this is because the people who are doing it are the richest folks in the world. Well,  spaceflight ain't cheap, and the few time that tourists have flown to the ISS it has cost a LOT more. The super wealthy have super expensive hobbies, this is just another one. Yeah its a rich persons thing, but so much in life is. I don't drive an exotic (or even nice ) car, I don't live in a mansion, I don't have a second, third or fourth vacation home. But I don't feel that gives me the right to tell the wealthy how they should or should not be spending THEIR cash. Remember, this is space TOURISM, not space exploration. That means if you can pay your way, you get to go. If not, book a Carnival cruise. That also means that the people going aren't going to train like astronauts. They are going for a ride, plain and simple. If that means Shatner just stares out the window pondering life, so be it. If Branson, Bezos or Musk want to power these things by stuffing cash money into a reaction chamber and setting it alight, so be it. If someone wants to pay 10x my lifetime earnings to be on board, OK by me. They aren't coming on here and telling us how the spending of our money on plastic toys is a waste of time, money and our lives, or lecturing us on the damage that plastics (like, you know, polystyrene) does to the environment. Maybe in 100 years people will look back on it and tell us how useful the money they spent was on the advancement of space exploration, just like they do now when talking about the billions of tax payers dollars spent sending people to the moon and back...

spot.

on.

P