Mr.William Shatner Goes into Space.Full Video.

MARU5137

• MARU5137 changed the title to Mr.William Shatner Goes into Space.Full Video.

What stunned me the most, was the tremendously fast acceleration of the rocket. Having watched several Saturn V rockets take off over the years, this was so much faster. Of course the Saturn V was gigantic, but still, it was an amazing sight. And I'm so happy that Shatner got to make the flight.

I despair at these flights. In this day and age of climate change awareness, we allow overpaid talentless actors (and other rich idiots) to burn a bucket full of fuel by going into space, emitting god knows how much CO2 to prove what exactly? Nothing. I'm all for space exploration if it will further mankind and help us keep this planet alive.

But doing it like this grabs my gonads.

3 minutes ago, AlanG said:

I despair at these flights. In this day and age of climate change awareness, we allow overpaid talentless actors (and other rich idiots) to burn a bucket full of fuel by going into space, emitting god knows how much CO2 to prove what exactly? Nothing. I'm all for space exploration if it will further mankind and help us keep this planet alive.

I can see why.

In this climate though, I feel sometimes people just need to hear some pleasant news with all the hate and bad vibes in the world. I have to look at it from the scientific advancement perspective, that could lead to a LOT of other actual pleasant things for the entire human race. 

I understand what you are saying Brian. But i can find better examples of pleasant news of things happening on earth to make me happy. If scientific advancement is going to be done on these/because of these flights, then great. But to me, rich folk and fat old blokes going into space aint it. Branson is just as bad imho.

I'm not a doom and gloom merchant btw. I just am trying to reduce my carbon footprint and i wonder why should i bother when there are idiots like these in the world.

2 hours ago, AlanG said:

:frantic: I bet your a lot of fun at parties. :beer4:

Think of it this way, it’s not the payload at this point, but using the technology and figuring out what they can do better next time.  You think NCC-1701 was just made out of the blue with warp drive?  Each launch lessons are learned, improvements are made.  

Point of information that some might find interesting:  Shatner’s flight today released practically zero CO2 into the atmosphere because it uses no carbon based fuel.  Most of his Bezos' support vehicles are electric; his boosters come back to roost to be used again rather than fall into the ocean like NASA’s.  While I’m not a big fan, it seems to me that he is doing as much as he can to further the green cause and still move us forward.  So, I’m not sure what all the hubbub is about.  And I’ll bet old, fat and in need of hair plugs describes a significant percentage of the people on this site - me in particular.  Besides, every mammal on earth releases carbon dioxide with every breath.  Without it, there would be no green plants and then where would we be?

I see a lot of serious advancement in Technology presented by the Elon Musk side of the equation.  He's simply not interested in doing the space ventures for pleasure flights to the highest bidder.  The Starlink, Tesla electric cars (Global sensation) and solar battery packs for the average home are all pluses, Not to mention he has successfully sent peeps in to earth orbit for 3 plus days.  I'm sure this tread will eventually be locked. up. However, ponder this.  Take a closer look a bit harder at all the advantages coming your way soon. Gotta ask yourself, are you using an electric car now?   The technology in producing the electric car battery material isn't eco friendly in any way shape or form.  What happens to a consumer's that doesn't like his/her 10 year old hybrid vehicle that is simply out of style?  Where does an electric car go to die and go back into the earth?  The answers aren't good in these results.   

Think positive and sniff some good glue airplane glue and get on with LSP building.   

FYI only,  The engine technology being used in this rocket is very, very clean. It burns Oxygen and LNG which is one of the cleanest burning hydrocarbon, well actually it is the cleanest.  The engines produce mostly water vapor. Short of using a water bottle rocket and a bicycle pump, I know no cleaner method off launching anything of terra firma into space. Just a point to note.