IIAF F-14A external fuel tanks used or not?

17 hours ago, GreyGhost said:

My apologies, I was referring to the picture in Grunticus' initial post ...

In that image, the F-14 has the TCS pod ... IIAF Tomcats were never equipped with them.

-Gregg

I believe that image is at least partially shopped and not an actual IIAF/IRIAF one.

16 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I do wonder why someone would go to the trouble of PSing either of those pics like that. 

Seems strange but the internet seems riddled with people trying to portray something that is not.

Some people want to create scoops for attention or ego. Ultra-rare VNAF photoghraphs for example (not real, but one sometimes had to look real hard).

13 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

IIAF, as noted, never purchased external tanks.  Their aircraft were built without the refueling probe cover.  I think the first couple of airplanes may have had them, but the majority didn’t.

I found a statement that they (some of them) were in fact delivered with the doors, but they were removed after delivery. If I find proof I will depict mine as it was on delivery, so with the door. If not, I will remove it.

21 minutes ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Think you just summed up Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter as well.

110%

At one point I had a "normal" FB profile. Lots of friends and lots of groups. It just got to be SO much after awhile that when a couple people I knew IRL started following me onto FB to harass me, all the while trying to be  completely different people than they were if you met them in person, it was the last straw. I now have a completely generic profile on FB just to communicate with my daughter and wife, and to catch up on some tips and hints on my off-road trailer group and thats it.

The other social platforms just seem so utterly useless I've never really seen the point in them. They are all horrible honestly and have seriously contributed to ramping up the absolute worst in society and humanity IMHO. 

23 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

I used to see these parked on the tarmac all the time at the Tehran airport back in the mid 90's

I lived in Tehran as a kid (parents were expats, got out just before things went south).  Mostly good memories of the place.   What were you doing over there in the 90’s?  CIA covert ops?   Mossad hit squad?   Nuclear scientist?    Do tell (if you can).   

1 hour ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Seems to me most likely that the light under the nose is a red anti collision beacon.  The requirement for those things was pretty much world wide by then.  Good place for it.

The fairing under the nose has a red anti-collision beacon in it.

13 hours ago, Cheetah11 said:

The AIM-9L's and color of the Phoenix  is also a dead giveaway of photo manipulation.

Ah, hadn't noticed yet. Thanks Jennings!

13 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Here's another one pre-delivery without the door.

PwkPnw.jpg

13 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

110%

At one point I had a "normal" FB profile. Lots of friends and lots of groups. It just got to be SO much after awhile that when a couple people I knew IRL started following me onto FB to harass me, all the while trying to be  completely different people than they were if you met them in person, it was the last straw. I now have a completely generic profile on FB just to communicate with my daughter and wife, and to catch up on some tips and hints on my off-road trailer group and thats it.

The other social platforms just seem so utterly useless I've never really seen the point in them. They are all horrible honestly and have seriously contributed to ramping up the absolute worst in society and humanity IMHO. 

I dispise them all as well. Yet I realize that kids growing up on it regard it as normal and essential as breathing air. Age gap. That it has (in my view) degraded society is another debate and largely dependent on point of view without anyone being right or wrong. I try to put it (and every other mainstream regular media) in perspective because it would get to me if I didn't. A big plus is that sharing questions and thoughts about (for example, as a random instance)  IIAF Tomcats has never been easier and more fun.

14 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Here's a photo (small, but you can zoom in and see it) wearing US insignias on their delivery flights to Iran without the door over the probe.

69v1ra.jpg

g2UnNF.png

Thanks for these as well Jennings. I'm convinced.

The image posted at the start of this tread has not been manipulated. It is a screen shot showing a IRIAF "skin" for the F-14 in Digital Combat Simulator World (DCS World) And yeah, flight sims look that good now.

Take Care,

Steven :D

On 10/13/2021 at 4:45 PM, kap64 said:

Could have been a Miramar Tomcat used for Top Gun Training, not actually Iranian.

Top Gun Aggressor

That is, in fact, the very last F-14A built for Iran, but it wasn't delivered because of the revolution.  It remained a source of irritation to Iran, since it had been paid for already.  The Navy kept it in Iranian camouflage and markings (technically contrary to international law) for a long time.  AFAIK it was never issued to a fleet squadron since there were some internal differences (despite what you read) vs. USN birds.  It spent its whole life as an adversary aircraft.

On 10/14/2021 at 6:39 PM, Pete Fleischmann said:

Think you just summed up Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter as well.

cheers

P

Are we talking about ****??:D

On 10/14/2021 at 7:14 PM, Out2gtcha said:

110%

It´s for insecure attention whores really.. Well, that´s my opinion anyways. I did the same. Or, I annihilated my FB pretty much, blank.. But I use Messenger since there are some pople I "talk" to there, only really..

On 10/17/2021 at 6:54 PM, Jennings Heilig said:

That is, in fact, the very last F-14A built for Iran, but it wasn't delivered because of the revolution.  It remained a source of irritation to Iran, since it had been paid for already.  The Navy kept it in Iranian camouflage and markings (technically contrary to international law) for a long time.  AFAIK it was never issued to a fleet squadron since there were some internal differences (despite what you read) vs. USN birds.  It spent its whole life as an adversary aircraft.

Heard about that bird but never really read up on it, cool! Are there decals for that one out there? Kinda like the Iranian camo, its different anyways.. This kind of thing I would like to build.