IIAF F-14A external fuel tanks used or not?

I am currently deciding on what external stores to put under the Tamiya F-14A in early (as in soon after delivery) IIAF colors. I can only find this one photo of an IIAF (well, IRIAF) F-14A carrying the external fuel tanks. But...this photo looks a tad like a manipulated image to me? What do you guys think?

TIA.

L0VzEx5.jpg?1

BTW I just looked and found I still have this left over from my patch collection. I bought it in the early 80-ies, it's an original one.

T9L4H2q.jpg?2

Edited by Grunticus
added patch

1 hour ago, Kagemusha said:

No fuel tanks, they didn't buy any. I have the same patch, also from the eighties.

This is a great book on Iranian Tomcats, has some really nice profiles.

ps. The Iranians removed the refuelling probe cover, so this set would be useful, or indeed this one.

Thanks so much! Did they simply remove the door cover of the refueling probe compartment, and leave it open in flight? Wouldn't this cause a lot of drag? Sorry if I misunderstand...

35 minutes ago, Grunticus said:

Thanks so much! Did they simply remove the door cover of the refueling probe compartment, and leave it open in flight? Wouldn't this cause a lot of drag? Sorry if I misunderstand...

Yes, they left it open, some USN units did the same thing.  Believe the door was easily damaged during refueling.   

1 hour ago, Grunticus said:

They removed it for the reason John pointed out.

IRIAF_F-14.jpg

1 hour ago, Kagemusha said:

They removed it for the reason John pointed out.

IRIAF_F-14.jpg

26 minutes ago, GreyGhost said:

Iranian Tomcats never had the tv camera pod under the nose, the TCS ...

You can very clearly see there is been a "red dot" superimposed on the picture. Not sure if its an (very poor) attempt to make it look like the IAF Tomcats had parts they didn't or not, but definitely added after the fact. 

12 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

You can very clearly see there is been a "red dot" superimposed on the picture. Not sure if its an (very poor) attempt to make it look like the IAF Tomcats had parts they didn't or not, but definitely added after the fact. 

That piqued my interest - not that it takes much with regards Tomcats, particularly Iranian ones - and that red light is there in an awful lot of photos, maybe they use it as a formation light?

IRIAF-F-14.png

During the war with Iraq, some were used as AWACS aircraft.

21 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

That piqued my interest - not that it takes much with regards Tomcats, particularly Iranian ones - and that red light is there in an awful lot of photos, maybe they use it as a formation light?

IRIAF-F-14.png

During the war with Iraq, some were used as AWACS aircraft.

Now that red light looks real. 

17 hours ago, GreyGhost said:

My apologies, I was referring to the picture in Grunticus' initial post ...

In that image, the F-14 has the TCS pod ... IIAF Tomcats were never equipped with them.

-Gregg

I believe that image is at least partially shopped and not an actual IIAF/IRIAF one.

16 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I do wonder why someone would go to the trouble of PSing either of those pics like that. 

Seems strange but the internet seems riddled with people trying to portray something that is not.

Some people want to create scoops for attention or ego. Ultra-rare VNAF photoghraphs for example (not real, but one sometimes had to look real hard).

13 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

IIAF, as noted, never purchased external tanks.  Their aircraft were built without the refueling probe cover.  I think the first couple of airplanes may have had them, but the majority didn’t.

I found a statement that they (some of them) were in fact delivered with the doors, but they were removed after delivery. If I find proof I will depict mine as it was on delivery, so with the door. If not, I will remove it.