Mig-21 BIS Bulgarian Air Force

ShelbyGT500

Wow, Thank you guys :) everybody must feel excellent when people like his work :)

4 hours ago, Youngtiger1 said:

Wow, what a model. I would love to know and see, if there is any wip pics, on how you did the nose and the spine adjustments. It all came out spectacular.

Ok, no problem my friend. I've used a lot of 1mm polystirene and tamiya epoxy putty.

First nose-cone:

gInsNNq.jpg

The exhaust and its "interior" :

ErwsKyr.jpg

The re-worked fuselage-nose and MF back-spine:

lAx0PDi.jpg

HxzFynk.jpg

And start to shape the BIS spine:

QghVuOr.jpg

AVBKtxu.jpg

And already re-worked BIS spine, fuselage-nose and nose-cone:

Vy4HDWT.jpg

This was done maybe for five days, because the putty must be completely dry and hard.

So hope this will be in your help at future bis projects ;)

Cheers

Thanks guys, well I do not like the "ready" colors sets from manufacturers. It's so far from truth. So every time I mix my own.

About your question mc65, for "Russian cockpit green" I mix this two colors 50/50 ratio:

UYN9NRi.jpgkqFFP1r.jpg

And always you can change this mix, if you want more blueish or greenish shade of cockpit color.

Cheers.

Edited by ShelbyGT500

Hi

thank you for the explanations !! so , if I understand , the nose cone , is longer ( a lot ????!!!) than the NF's ,the fuselage nose has been shortened more or less 2mm , and its "edge has been ..." beveled ",...the dorsal spine is a bit wider "at the gear bay level "  or so 

Alain

HI Alain, well the nose-cone is wider than the MF's, not longer. I mean wider when write "larger". Sorry for that :)

For fuselage-nose - yes it is wider than MF's also and the edge is "beveled". Maybe this is the right word.

And for the spine - yes, wider and longer at the back side, where the tail it is. It ends almost where the parashute-tube starts.

Edited by ShelbyGT500

ShelbyGT500, thank you for sharing the wipe photos. I had been thinking about build the Bis conversion for some years as I saw it quite manageable but I am pleased to see you actually did it. It provides the needed encourage. Edward has some nice 1/48 Mig-21Bis models that I thinking about was thinking about purchasing one just to use as a basic reference. Do you recommend any good books as reference? TIA

Hi Youngtiger1, you're welcome :)

Yes you can use Eduard 1/48 BIS for a reference, but know that - the fuselage-nose is from their 1/48 MF. Everything else is with correct shape :)

But really sorry, I cannot recommend you any books, because I've access to the real Mig-21 Bis, MF, PFM, F-13 planes and I do not need books. Sorry once again my friend.

On 10/15/2021 at 12:31 PM, ShelbyGT500 said:

HI Alain, well the nose-cone is wider than the MF's, not longer. I mean wider when write "larger". Sorry for that :)

For fuselage-nose - yes it is wider than MF's also and the edge is "beveled". Maybe this is the right word.

And for the spine - yes, wider and longer at the back side, where the tail it is. It ends almost where the parashute-tube starts.

Thank you for the in progress photos! Shows the amount of work involved!

Thanks Alain :)

On 10/15/2021 at 5:43 PM, mc65 said:

Wonderful!:wub:

may I ask wich color did you use for the cockpit interior?

I'm planning a MiG17, and I'm a total newbie at soviet aircrafts! 

Hi mc65, yes Alain Gadbois is pretty mush right. Mig-15/17/19 and early F-13's are with different color of cockpit. It's something like grey-blueish. You can use Medium Sea Grey or something similar of it.

This is my Mig-15 Bis cockpit, you can see what the color is:

NOgtzmk.jpg

BXUfg0C.jpg

B1ySjyb.jpg

4dv18m4.jpg

72JpM6I.jpg

djENFR8.jpg

Hope this will help you to start and finish your first Soviet Star ;)

Cheers