Need help identifying Skyraider ordnance for 1/32 I'm building

mkd1966

Hey everyone,

I'm building a Fisher Models 1/32 A-1E Skyraider based on this warbird shown below and I need help with these bombs on the inner pylons... To me they kind of look like Mk 82's just without the fuse sticking out the front instead of the pointy tips seen here... Does anyone know of a 1/32 kit that has these kind of bombs or a after market resin version I could purchase ? I appreciate any help with this... Thanks, Mike

900543.jpg

They look a bit big for MK 82’s. Maybe 83’s?   Or maybe it’s just me?   As far as being pointed, those are just replications.  Pretty certain all Mk series bombs would have a fuse in the nose.  

Eduard/Brassin can hook you up with some decent 82’s.   Not sure if they do larger bombs.  

55 minutes ago, John1 said:

They look a bit big for MK 82’s. Maybe 83’s?   Or maybe it’s just me?   As far as being pointed, those are just replications.  Pretty certain all Mk series bombs would have a fuse in the nose.  

Eduard/Brassin can hook you up with some decent 82’s.   Not sure if they do larger bombs.  

You may be onto something with the Mk 83's... I googled them and Flying Leathernecks offers a nice looking set with 3 different tip options including the pointed tip in the photo above... I guess I need to go home tonight and check the measurements of them compared to the model I'm building... Thanks, Mike

Edited by mkd1966

Hey Mike, one thing to keep in mind - don’t think the AF or VNAF used Mk 83’s.  Only the Navy / Marines.   

Jealous that you have the Fisher A-1E conversion, I would kill for one.   Good luck with your build.  

2 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

That’s the cleanest Spad I’ve ever seen.  No exhaust stains; no oil anywhere.  Gorgeous but somehow weird.  Like being in the Twilight Zone.

Not surprising though, it's clearly at a display of some sort, so would have been cleaned up beforehand; perhaps even by a "defaulters" fatigue party.

54 minutes ago, MikeC said:

Not surprising though, it's clearly at a display of some sort, so would have been cleaned up beforehand; perhaps even by a "defaulters" fatigue party.

I helped crew on several different warbirds over the years and can tell you even though the gloss paint is not authentic - it sure is a lot easier to keep clean - even on a beast like this... Mike

Spads like any prop plane have very dirty exhaust.This being a AF example the gloss paint is not authentic but it’s lack of “patina”is entirely the product of the gloss paint and being overly fussed over. We weather, they buff and shine. I personally like my aircraft dirty and weathered , the dirtier the better.I have a particular fondness for Navy planes as having been a Tomcat tweek, I’ve seen some pretty dirty birds. Gloss just isn’t my thing unless it’s all aluminum. To each their own.