Tamiya F-14A I.I.A.F.

Grunticus

4 hours ago, Aigore said:

Looking sweet.....UHU patafix is da s☆☆t! I use it when I don't want feathered paint borders.

Are you really sure it's painted on the right side now? :P really really?

You made me check it again!!   :D

1 hour ago, IvanVasili said:

Nice paint. Good to see the cat in colours other than gray.

Thank you. I absolutely adore the IIAF paint scheme, not just for the Tomcat. Their Orions....pure flying art.

The painted nose. The yellow is oak with white mixed in. In some photos the radome seems to be pure white, but in other photos it's clearly light oak. I think they were in fact unpainted?

9qUJDQr.jpg

This is the lip I added.

mhDIRYy.jpg

When held in place with a rubber band the seam seems to be doable with minimal work. No glue in these photos yet.

43Bvu9l.jpg

6XiRfUM.jpg

OXmCxtf.jpg

coBi17W.jpg

The indents do not line up 100%, just 99.5%. We'll see if I can blend that somehow.

Cheers!

On 11/17/2021 at 9:33 PM, Aigore said:

Lovely an Alicat! ❤

This is a very early Tomcat, just like the 'cats during the first cruise they had the six sided reinforfement plates on the vertical stabs. They got the standard A beaver tail without the ECM blister, they lacked the blisters under the wing gloves too.

Another typical Alicat thing is the removal of the door over the IFR probe housing. Standard loadout during the Iran Iraq war was two Phoenix missiles on the forward pallets, 4 sparrows and two Sidewinders.

I'll be followijg this gorgeous build!

Thanks for this! Do you know of any photos showing the reinforcement plates?

1 hour ago, geedubelyer said:

That's a great fit on the front fuselage to upper wing section, neat for the tip with the elastic band to hold it in place. That should work well while the glue sets, thanks.

The paint on those wings is so smooth. Lovely job. :bow:

Thank you! Yes, the paint did come out nicely. One nice property of MRP paints is that they can easily and completely removed with ethanol or IPA without attacking the plastic. So paint it once or ten times, the surface will be the same.

1 hour ago, periklis_sale said:

It looks great so fa!

What colour codes are you using?

Thanks! I used MRP 104 Light Grey, MRP 343 Dark Green, MRP 121 Middle Stone, and MRP 233 Special Brown.

Lovely Tomcat, that is becoming.

I may be wrong but I think the radomes come without paint but a coating, like the ones of the F-16s. Weathering makes them change their "colours" in time, so the colour of your choice may change depending on how dirty and worn out you wish to make the entire model. 

On 12/1/2021 at 8:11 PM, MARU5137 said:

Beautiful job. 

:thumbsup:

Fit looks Fantastic. 

:bow:

Thanks! Fit was not too good after all (see below).

22 hours ago, mattcour said:

Lovely Tomcat, that is becoming.

I may be wrong but I think the radomes come without paint but a coating, like the ones of the F-16s. Weathering makes them change their "colours" in time, so the colour of your choice may change depending on how dirty and worn out you wish to make the entire model. 

Yes you may be right. Mine will depict a Tomcat at or shortly after delivery, so it will not be very dirty, just lightly accentuated panel lines and some soot around the gun muzzle.

After the glue dried it looked like this:

AIno2Zd.jpg

fHfV7kg.jpg

It's not so obvious in the photos but there are steps on almost all joints, and as is visible in the lower photo above the indent did not line up on one side. So, out with the diamond files and sandpaper....

After round one we have this:

The indent now aligns. Looks like it needs a tad more refining though.

wdl08uP.jpg

qsFDr7j.jpg

The area where the wing glove starts is especially delicate to work on. It needs more work.

Also I would like to recommend this glue. I have no affiliation with the seller or manufacturer in any way. It liqifies styrene slightly more than Tamiya Extra Thin (regular), but also dries faster. These properties make it form strong bonds rather quickly, which often looks like a tiny weld and eliminate filling when sanded smooth. For may applications it's my favorite glue.

3GTTVcb.jpg5BhibrB.jpg

Cheers!

Lovely progress :D you are beating it to shape.

I too love the IIAF Asia Minor scheme and it looks awesome on everything ...the persian Sabre is the prettiest Sabre I've ever seen.

DSC_2169_zpsnw4n46dt.jpg

About the nose tip, it's unpainted like the US Navy cats....and it can take all kinds of hues as the glasfiber got tanned by the sun.

tcugifjh.jpg?w=352

VF-1-Wolfpack-037.jpg

That F-86 looks awesome! The 80s were such great times in so many ways....colorful aircraft, peace in the world (largely), many new kits from Esci with unheard of decal options, and last but not least decent music. All but the "new kits from xxx" are history now. But I guess I'm becoming an old fart and belong here :D

dOaGOUd.jpg

3 hours ago, Grunticus said:

That F-86 looks awesome! The 80s were such great times in so many ways....colorful aircraft, peace in the world (largely), many new kits from Esci with unheard of decal options, and last but not least decent music. All but the "new kits from xxx" are history now. But I guess I'm becoming an old fart and belong here :D

dOaGOUd.jpg

I HEAR YA! ....Where did I put my walking aid again?