3D Printing/printer questions.

ade rowlands

Have toyed with the idea of getting myself a printer for a bit now having seen what others have been capable of creating on here. I wouldn’t be looking to do big projects, more small detail pieces like say for example Trumpeter 1/24 109G-6 Late which for some reason they included the correct Galland Panzer head armour but made it completely solid, even the armoured glass is solid grey, so lets take that piece as an example for my questions.

Is it possible to print clear resin or would I have to creat the part without the armoured glass and then work another way to make the glass (clear styrene sheet or whatever).

Is it as simple as finding a good photograph of the real thing and importing it in to software and go from there to create a piece?

Does all resin need UV Curing booths?

I have many more questions, such as what Printer would be best for my intended purposes? I know that will get me many answers from whoever owns what printer but I’d basically like a good quality machine which would be happy making small parts in a good quality with minimum layer lines or whatever you want to call them, basically I’d like to keep sanding to a minimum as they’d be small parts and not say to sand.

That then leads to which software to use? I know it will require time and many failed prints to learn but that’s fine. 

52 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

I have similar desires and questions, Ade. YouTube is a great source of info, but the sheer amount of it can be confusing. I'll leave cogent answers to our more knowledgeable and experienced colleagues!

Kev

Indeed Kev, I watched YouTube, read articles but I’d rather get the input of the members here who understand the requirements of the hobby and whatnot. The information out there can just leave you bewildered otherwise.

1 hour ago, ade rowlands said:

That then leads to which software to use?

And therein lies the rub. Mastering whatever CAD software you decide on is going to be your biggest challenge. 

Good luck. Once you get the hang of it, it's tremendously rewarding

Hi Ade,

If what you want to do is a Galland Panzer headrest, it is many many times easier to scracth-build it from plasticard. After all, the real thing was made of flat parts. Use the kit part for the measurements. 

3D printing is not the silver bullet that many dream of. You will need to create your own artwork. There is free software out there, such as Blender, but learning to master it is like learning a foreign language. Fortunately there are many YouTube videos out there teaching how to use Blender. You can commission someone to do the design for you, but that may be costly. 

Radu 

9 minutes ago, Radub said:

Hi Ade,

If what you want to do is a Galland Panzer headrest, it is many many times easier to scracth-build it from plasticard. After all, the real thing was made of flat parts. Use the kit part for the measurements. 

3D printing is not the silver bullet that many dream of. You will need to create your own artwork. There is free software out there, such as Blender, but learning to master it is like learning a foreign language. Fortunately there are many YouTube videos out there teaching how to use Blender. You can commission someone to do the design for you, but that may be costly. 

Radu 

Thanks Radu. The Galland Armour was just an example and the first that popped in to my head. 

As others have said CAD, CAD, CAD.  The now zillions of printers out there are useless with out the digital object.  The learning curve for CAD is much higher in that there is more to learn.  CAD in itself is not hard, the software is a digital tool box and the tools do all the work.  Getting your head around what tools to use when and often learning processes of tool combinations to get the results you want.  I’m a self taught CAD user and I learned by starting with a specific object to model and learn the tools to make the model.  With every successive model my knowledge of the tools variety and function increased.

I started with Blender, then Vectorworks, Rhino and now Fusion 360.  Beware of Blender it is not, I repeat not a CAD tool.  It’s is a 3D modeling tool, rendering, sculpting, simulation, animation and video editor.  It is true you can make hard surface models with it and can get .stl or other polygon formats suitable for printing.  Proper scaling of the model, setting the right render modes, joining shapes and editing the models is not straight forward and that increases the learning curve.  Also if you want to have parts that fit together after printing and need specific tolerances this is much harder in Blender.  In Blender models are made by manipulating points on surfaces, because it’s primary function is to render digital objects.  Making physical models is not it’s function, though it is possible.

CAD is the exact opposite the function of CAD is to make drawings suitable to produce physical things.  CAD produces precise, dimensions, lines, arcs, curves and shapes.  You can set tolerance limits, fit parts together and output models for any number of machines.  Vinyl cutters, laser cutters, 3D printers, CNC mills and lathes, etc.

I use Fusion 360 now and have for several years.  It is still free for hobbyists and good place to start.  Fusion has building CAM for my CNC work and that is a huge necessity for my work.  Fusion works similarly to the CAD software I use and has excellent import and export functions so my old Rhino models convert in their native file types that a nice feature.

To sum up I will now admit that I am currently using Blender for a single printed part.  I’m modeling the canvas cover of a parachute pack that Siri’s on top of my Jaguar ejection seat.  I’m trying to learn it’s cloth simulation function to make the part.  Although I could have made 30 of them by hand by now, I’m taking the part on as a digital challenge to learn something new.  Learn CAD make some parts, then get a printer.  FDM type for big shapes and parts, like wings or fuselages; or a resin printer MSLA’s are abundant cheap and practically clones of each other, for small detailed parts.  Then get a CNC machine if you parts that actually fit and function.

Timmy!

p.s. Printing clear I can tell you it’s possible.  You have to have the proper resin, not all clear is clear.  In fact most “clear” resins are amber.  They are not suitable for precise detail and there is significant post processing.  They need to be cured properly and you will have to sand and polish them clear and they will need a clear coating of some type.  I’m working on parts now for my Jaguar and Pig’s AT-38B.

JagTestCanopy.png?format=2500w

Edited by Timmy!

Thanks for the in depth answer Timmy. That canopy is really quite impressive. I was lucky enough to see the Jaguar down low in its natural habitat many times growing up in the middle of one of the main UK Low Fly Training areas. Was even lucky enough to catch their final flight through but not from my usual perch on the hillside but our back garden, or back yard if you will.

I'm probably the only person using AC3D for CAD work, and on occasion I use FreeCAD.  I've tried Blender several times, but I always give up and return to the apps I already know.  CAD is definitely the barrier to 3D printing for most people.

As for the printing itself I use an Elegoo Mars 2 Pro and the standard grey resin.  I've never had any luck with clear resin.   I built a curing box and use it a lot, but in a pinch you can always just set the parts out in the sunshine.  I've tried the water-washable resin, but I found no benefit to using it, so I only use the regular (wash with Isopropyl alcohol) now.

For slicing I use Chitubox, free version.  It tends to be buggy, but when it works it works great and is easy to use.  I do all the supports manually.

PM me if you have questions.

-- Dave

I’m a Mac guy so you’ll have no problems.  A mouse is all you need.  I have upgraded to couple of items from 3dConnexion; a CAD Mouse Pro and the Space Mouse Wireless.  These are absolutely not necessary though they make for a nice experience once you get the hang of using them.

BTW, Iv’e only seen one Jag in person, one at the Pima Museum in Tucson Arizona with a make believe paint scheme, that is typical for that museum.  I would have loved to see one flying around!

Timmy!

Edited by Timmy!

22 hours ago, Timmy! said:

I’m a Mac guy so you’ll have no problems.  A mouse is all you need.  I have upgraded to couple of items from 3dConnexion; a CAD Mouse Pro and the Space Mouse Wireless.  These are absolutely not necessary though they make for a nice experience once you get the hang of using them.

BTW, Iv’e only seen one Jag in person, one at the Pima Museum in Tucson Arizona with a make believe paint scheme, that is typical for that museum.  I would hav elope to see one flying around!

Timmy!

I do miss seeing them. The Harriers too. Quite often way down in the weeds, noticeably lower than the Tornado passes. Again thanks for the answers. I’m going to look in to it and see how I get along with the Software first before investing in a machine.