Trumpeter 1/32 EE Lightning, ****Finished****

Robthepom

Hello Fellows

Its been a long time since i started a 1/32 aircraft, i have been messing around with 1/35th for last few builds

So i have a renewed passion for the lightning after completing the 1/48th Airfix kit. The jet is just a fantastic pig ugly looking brute so i thought I'd dig out my 1/32 Trumpy and do inflight version on custom stand. Does anyone know of a seated pilot from this era???

I have read most threads across all the forums, most showing the kit issues and solutions. I honestly don't think I have the skills to cut and add the 5mm. I just don't think I could blend the insert to my satisfaction, plus the NMF will show up imperfection to much for my liking

I have the superb Airies cockpit which is stunning, and i also have the none fitting Aires exhaust nozzles which I will not be using. I will be fixing the easier issues only.

This is a bit of a Tribute build to George Aird who famously ejected from a lightning in 1962. I went to school with both his sons and met him couple of times. His sons used to say he was the first RAF pilot to use ejector seat. I was a school boy when I met him and wasn't bothered about one of my mates dads. Now if I met him I'd have hundreds of question. I'm unsure if he's still alive, I moved to Australia and lost touch with his sons

So this may not be the best Lightning in the world........its a tribute

bwqQzOf.jpg

nEgcA3e.jpg

EHWM77U.jpg

Edited by Robthepom

oh oh, just let me check if i have enough beer and pop corn...

checked, I'm ready to watch happily at your build!

actually the b/w image is really impressive, for a few moments I too indulged at thinking how to solve the diorama-related problems to solve, eventually.

to ansewer to DonH, please sorry for the OT, nowadays there are several choiches about tractors: after the old (and not cheap) Plusmodel's Fordson, Miniart and Thunder (this also boxed by Airfix) have produced different types of tractors. in 1/35, but better than none!

1 hour ago, mc65 said:

oh oh, just let me check if i have enough beer and pop corn...

checked, I'm ready to watch happily at your build!

actually the b/w image is really impressive, for a few moments I too indulged at thinking how to solve the diorama-related problems to solve, eventually.

to ansewer to DonH, please sorry for the OT, nowadays there are several choiches about tractors: after the old (and not cheap) Plusmodel's Fordson, Miniart and Thunder (this also boxed by Airfix) have produced different types of tractors. in 1/35, but better than none!

dont get me started on tractors, i love them...i recently built 1/35 Heller Petite Grey, loved it. if I was going to even try that photo as a diorama I dont think having a 1/35 scale tractor would matter

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments guys

I have had a bit change of mind with this kit, I dont think I want battle with the modifications i see being done on this site and others. So I'm just going to build the beast. I just dont have the motivation at the moment. so it will kind of a simple quick(ish) glue and paint project

Aries cockpit is beautiful, however i wish i had the Quickboost seat, the aries PE belts are driving me nuts:blink: so i will doing a belt or two them moving to something else to save my sanity

7sFJuEZ.jpg

Its such a shame the exhaust cans dont fit, surly Aries should have designed the parts to fit the kit

TGsNe0q.jpg

Cockpit

4EJqqS0.jpg

qvJCIbu.jpg

eLAJx1a.jpg

Wheel bays, i did these to get practice for the NMF, very happy with my efforts

LUpZZgd.jpg

I'm still undecided about on wheels or inflight, lets see

1BnVmNW.jpg

:ph34r:

Edited by Robthepom

Not wishing to be one of those people Rob , but if you are interested early F1 and F1A cockpits were generally black not grey - assuming that is you're not doing the F3 . 

The ...er ...reason I know this , is that I did a grey cockpit in my recent 1/48 F1 build .....and then found out afterwards :unsure:

Thunder and Lightnings Website has a good walkaround on a F1 cockpit

Edited by Panzerwomble

33 minutes ago, Panzerwomble said:

Not wishing to be one of those people Rob , but if you are interested early F1 and F1A cockpits were generally black not grey - assuming that is you're not doing the F3 . 

The ...er ...reason I know this , is that I did a grey cockpit in my recent 1/48 F1 build .....and then found out afterwards :unsure:

Thunder and Lightnings Website has a good walkaround on a F1 cockpit

Well well so it is...thanks for the link and the correct info, i have a whole pintrest board of lightning pics and have never noticed

Now i have another dilemma...should i change it or leave it....I'm not a purist so I think I'll leave mine grey

Any other useful links would be appreciated

thanks

Edited by Robthepom