BAE Hawk T.1A

Dragon

My last two GB entries ended up on the SOD, so needing to get back in the GB saddle, I’ll be joining this GB with the Revell BAe Hawk T.1A kit. The only aftermarket I’ll be using are decals from Xtradecal X32033, and  I’ll be doing the 70th Anniversary Spitfire scheme.  

3sL58e0.jpg

QsKNu7d.jpg

I'll get started on the kit this weekend.

Thanks for looking in.

Mike 

I got so wrapped up in building this kit and watching college football I failed to take any pics of the build progress. Here's where I am with the build. As you can see I have the fuselage closed up. So far, the kit has been pretty straight forward with no build issues from either the kit or the builder! There are some seams to clean up, but they are nothing a little Mr Surfacer won't take of. 

BAmpyfd.jpg

Moving forward, I'll pay attention to pic taking as build continues.

Thanks for looking in.

Mike

18 hours ago, Winnie said:

If you're not going to use the Box markings, would I be able to buy them? I have the Red Arrows boxing, and was looking fr something else...

I'd be happy to pay a little and for postage obviously. I'm in Canada.

PM me your address. 

• 1 month later...

This build still lives. I stumbled across this article https://theaviationgeekclub.com/the-story-of-e-royce-williams-the-naval-aviator-who-became-the-only-fighter-pilot-to-shoot-down-four-soviet-mig-15s-in-one-fight-confirmed-by-russians-but-not-by-the-us-navy/ and I got side tracked building a non-LSP kit of the panther. Too bad Paul Fisher's Panther is no longer available.

Anyway, the Hawk is back on the front burner. Here are a couple of pics of the build before I got side tracked:

ThiBq6v.jpg

EQYYQk7.jpg

GwvUrHt.jpg

Forgot there were several areas that needed some putty and sanding attention. Well, I guess it's a nice welcome back to the build!

I need to decide whether to use the kit seats or some AM Tornado seats. I know these aren't accurate for the Hawk, but they do look way better than the kit seats.

Should make some good progress this week on the build with time off for the Thanksgiving holiday.  

Thanks for looking in. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Progress is being made on this build; however, it is small and slow. I have too many builds on the bench currently: a formula 1 race car, a baby JA-37 Viggen, a mid-size F9F panther, a big Hellcat, and this build. Focus wanders and too many new projects call! 

I have the landing gear close to completion. I feel the gray is too dark, but I'm not going to change it.

Bc1qj7M.jpg

Also been working on getting the base colors down for the seats. Have more to do here but wanted to show work is being done.

tMLaGKv.jpg

Once the colors are down, I'll attempt adding wear and apply a wash.

Need to get these seats done, so I can close up the cockpit and start painting the build.

Thanks for looking in and Happy Holidays!

I finished up the seats, and I'm happy how they turned out. But....

eIXpXuR.jpg

...as I began looking at photos of the Spitfire schemed Hawk to start prepping for painting my build, I noticed the seats should have been black not grey. :BANGHEAD2: 

Not sure why I locked on to the grey. I thought about repainting them, but it was a fleeting thought.....

I'll be getting these and the canopy installed over the holidays, so I start priming the build.

Happy Holidays all!

My wife and I decided today would be a hobby room day, and it was a nice snowy day to be relaxing in the room. My focus was to get the build ready for a coat of primer later this week. I was able to get the seats and canopy installed, and the canopy is masked. 

wl6p9On.jpg

90GfeRU.jpg

Now the fun part begins! My last two GB builds crashed and burned when the painting began, but I figure the third time will be a success. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for looking in.

• 3 weeks later...

The painting has begun. After laying down the first coat of primer, I discovered a few areas needing attention. Once those areas were addressed and re-primed, I started spraying the dark earth. I'll get it finished up this weekend then start on the dark green.

u5Y8tRS.jpg

K9WJBrj.jpg

Thanks for looking in.