Spraying Tamiya clears to tint canopies

My experience dates back from a time when the Earth was green but when I attempted to spray a clear yellow to resemble the F/A-18D night attack canopy, the finish came out very pebbly and I wasn’t happy with it at all.  I was using Gunze aqueous, properly thinned with isopropyl at a fairly high pressure so in my estimation the pressure may have been too high.  From the outside of the canopy it looked great but viewing from the inside…..ewwww.  

I’d say that if you have some spare clear plastic around, test and see what you get using your best judgement on mix, pressure, and distance.  

My next attempt is going to be dying some future and dipping and see what the results are.  It’s all theory right now but if acrylic paint will mix with the future, it might work…

Edited by Juggernut

I seem to remember (waaaay back) someone mixing some Tamiya clear yellow with some Klear then dipping the canopy to make it tinted. Or is my old grey cells not as they once was?

Might work. Try it on an old bit of clear sprue to see if it works.

*** Just realised that Juggernut has said the same thing lol ***

Edited by AlanG
Added info

Hi Pete

On my previous F-16 build the only way I could make it work was to use Tamiya acrylic clear with a drop of black. Smoke gives quite a dark coating. Thin with Tamiya acrylic thinner but if you need to remove it, Tamiya thinners might craze the plastic. I also sprayed it on the outside and not inside .l found it difficult to get an even coat on the inside of the canopy.

BTW is it smoke or green you are spraying?

Hope this helps

Nick

4 minutes ago, Cheetah11 said:

Hi Pete

On my previous F-16 build the only way I could make it work was to use Tamiya acrylic clear with a drop of black. Smoke gives quite a dark coating. Thin with Tamiya acrylic thinner but if you need to remove it, Tamiya thinners might craze the plastic. I also sprayed it on the outside and not inside .l found it difficult to get an even coat on the inside of the canopy.

BTW is it smoke or green you are spraying?

Hope this helps

Nick

Thanks Nick-

This one will be smoke. The latest version of the Little Bird has eliminated the green overhead tint to the windscreen, and changed to a grey tint a few years ago-

3 hours ago, AlanG said:

I seem to remember (waaaay back) someone mixing some Tamiya clear yellow with some Klear then dipping the canopy to make it tinted. Or is my old grey cells not as they once was?

Might work. Try it on an old bit of clear sprue to see if it works.

*** Just realised that Juggernut has said the same thing lol ***

I think that I remember trying Future mixed with food coloring.

This works for me:

1 part Tamiya clear: 4 parts Mr Leveling Thinner -  1:4   NOTE: this is consistency of a wash.

Pressure 18-25 psi.  Mine is set a 20psi

Light passes x3.  INSIDE THE CANOPY. 

After dry I'll decide if I want to add another pass or two.  My prime directive is: "Less Is More".

Cure for a few days then dip in FUTURE.

If you mess up at any stage of this.  ONLY IF USING TAMIYA PAINTS.

Depending on size of canopy fill a cup/glass/bowl with regular Windex (the blue stuff) no ammonia or vinegar.  Place canopy in Windex swirl around and let sit for a minute or two.  Then rinse with ward water.  Boom!  Everything is gone.  Then start over.

IMG_3789.JPG

A-29 Super Tucano canopy.  Tamiya Clear Smoke 1:4 MLT then after full cure Future dip.

F60F4CB6-8055-431F-B778-A1CA0FE076FA_1_1

I tested on a spare canopy.  Masked half and experimented.  This time I used a mix of TAM Clear Smoke and Orange.  Remember, I kept the ratio 1:4.  The F16 untinted canopy is on the right.  I have already masked and painted the inside canopy frame.  Spray your tinted blend then after a few days cure dip in Future.

08498964-F4A9-49ED-9B62-B74BDE4E4429_1_1

Here the canopy test fitted.  I was happy with the results. Albeit, I could have gone a bit lighter on the tint.

B190E0B4-5341-4023-BEFA-8C1965378DD5_1_1

Finished 1:72 Tamiya F16 in HAF livery.

Hope this info on tinting canopies is helpful.

Edited by Rick K

Thanks Rick-

appreciate that-

I want to shoot the inside only and avoid a Future dip if possible. Reason is, I am pretty sure I’m going to have to fill/blend/sand the windscreen to fuselage join. I can always polish the outside of the windscreen after all that work, but if there is a coat of Future on the outside..the sanding and then polishing becomes problematic.

cheers

P

Use a wide soft brush and brush the inside.  The beauty of Future is its leveling properties.  I've brushed Future on canopies for exact reason you have used.  No problems.

I only spray the clear on inside of canopy. 

Edited by Rick K

• 2 weeks later...