NA Vigilante........

Jack

Okay, here’s a Viggie question that has bugged me for a very long time:  Does anyone on here know definitively - and I mean without question; no opinions or “I think”s - what color NAA used for the word NAVY on the sides of the earliest batch of RA-5Cs?  I know for certain it wasn’t black and any of the various shades of gray you see on decal sheets these days are bogus because gray was not a thing back then.  I remember it being a pale green color that reflected light and it was stickers or tape, not paint.  I’ve seen it used on helmets and flight deck gear as well.  Really screws up a flash photo.  Whatever color it was, the jets came from the factory that way although it wasn’t long before it was replaced by regular old black lettering.  I have the same Viggie books as everybody else but have yet to see a reference to it in any of them other than the occasional call-out of it being light gray.  It’s possible (even probable) that my memory by now is a bit tango uniform on this, but I’ve carried the same vivid image in my head for decades and it ain’t gray.

North American's Vigilante ......so great........... it can fire nukes out of it's butt.....

..................and occasionally disgraced itself by leaving it's "payload" on the deck .

Pretty aircraft though , would be an impressively large model at our scale ....700mm long ? 

4 minutes ago, Panzerwomble said:

North American's Vigilante ......so great........... it can fire nukes out of it's butt.....

..................and occasionally disgraced itself by leaving it's "payload" on the deck .

Pretty aircraft though , would be an impressively large model at our scale ....700mm long ? 

722 mm even. Yes, bigger than my Viggen in 1:24 ...

Cheers

Rainer