New F16AM from AFV Club

panzerrob

Probably the Academy kit, reboxed with some extras again. That is a nice kit overall but the intake-to-fuselage distance needs to be taken care of and that requires some surgery at the back of the intake too. But the kit has nice details and I may have one, if the price is ok.

On 10/3/2021 at 1:50 AM, Treehugger said:

I don't mean to sound pissy, but does anyone here have some knowledge about how accurate the 1:32 F-16 Academy design/ moulds are? I should be lucky these days to find a review that takes such issues seriously. Sometimes there are kit reviews that do point out issues with accuracy re. how the kit compares to the real thing, but a lot of the times, it seems reviewers aren't trying to account for a kit's accuracy in the first place.

Speaking on behalf of myself only, there's a ginormous difference in time spent doing an out-of-box review vs an in-depth analysis of accuracy issues. I have no problems at all with writing kit reviews as I have done for several years now, and actually enjoy it, but wouldn’t even begin to consider attempting a total cross check of accuracy, which would involve additional hours and hours of checking all of the reference books that I may have on the given subject, with no guarantee whatsoever that I’d catch everything anyway.

Over the years, we’ve asked for (but seldom received), member volunteers to step forward and review kits for the site. If you’re one of those that would be willing, we’d be more than thrilled to see it.

Out of my memory, there were three main accuracy and one bad design issues:

The nose (essentially cockpit area) is too thin and this is also translated in a pit wrong sill geometry. But you have to be a true Viper lover or to put it close to a Tamiya kit to see it.

The instrument coaming has a too bulky/squared shape.

The air intakes have weird shapes. This is more visible from the front.

The GE exhaust has been badly designed with awful seams between the petals internal side.

Aftermarket can solve all such issues except the first one.

Hth 

Thierry

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, ade rowlands said:

£164 before shipping and import taxes? Uh, no thanks. Remember the other AFV Club Boxings being ridiculous prices too. 

That’s a fair whack to throw down for an old kit. I guess my Viper pit will remain one jet short, until they hit the 2nd hand market, or I can get my hands on a bargain Tamiya kit to backdate a bit. 

I've found that Lucky Model is the best place to get AFV Club kits from at a more reasonable price. Throw in their cheap(er) surface shipping option and it's even better. As long as you can wait of course. 

Any of the Taiwanese or Chinese manufacturers are generally more expensive to buy from Japanese shops due to the duties Japan charges on models. 

Carl

Anyone who thinks they can “wait for reviews” and still be able to get a limited run AFV club kit is fooling them self.

The AFV limited stuff disappears extremely quickly.

Buy now ask questions later.

They will always sell secondary easily in many cases at inflated prices.

35 minutes ago, Darren Howie said:

Anyone who thinks they can “wait for reviews” and still be able to get a limited run AFV club kit is fooling them self.

The AFV limited stuff disappears extremely quickly.

Buy now ask questions later.

They will always sell secondary easily in many cases at inflated prices.

Maybe.  I remember Sprue Brothers had some of the AFV Club F-16s sitting for a while because of the high price.  I waited until there was a sale before I picked up the RSAF F-16D.

The Singaporean boxing sold out extremely quickly all through Asia and now sells for big money if you can find one.

A single seater with a parapack tail will walk out of shops faster than they can get them in. 
Enjoy trying to get one in 6 months time with every modeller wanting a parapack tail A for how long?

Good luck!