New F16AM from AFV Club

panzerrob

I’ll wager that it’ll be another re-boxing of the Academy plastic. If I recall, AFV boxing’s were a lot more expensive than the Academy kits too. 
Given that I have 2 F-16s built, and another 4 in production….…I may be a slight fan of the type :lol:. The big gap up my collection, is a couple of early variants used by the Netherlands and Belgium air forces. They’ve had some really attractive display schemes over the years which I’d love to model. 

1 minute ago, Stokey Pete said:

I’ll wager that it’ll be another re-boxing of the Academy plastic. If I recall, AFV boxing’s were a lot more expensive than the Academy kits too. 
Given that I have 2 F-16s built, and another 4 in production….…I may be a slight fan of the type :lol:. The big gap up my collection, is a couple of early variants used by the Netherlands and Belgium air forces. They’ve had some really attractive display schemes over the years which I’d love to model. 

Whilst not one for display schemes I would like to do a Netherlands or Norwegian Air Force F-16 scheme. If this kit does cover those bases I maaaaaaay try and source one from the Far East if the prices isn’t extortionate. I’d be way more interested in a boxing that covers USAF Aggressor schemes, see, 4th post in and its already a wants thread.

Interesting. I'd buy (and build) this (and maybe get to use norwegian markings). :)

I guess the AM designation is the older modernization program of older F-16A's. 

Update: Uh, hold on. If this is a copy of Academy moulds, then no bueno for me. I am getting really tired of seeing and having to try fix obvious errors on new modern kits.

Update2: I changed my mind. I will ofc read the review and then I'll consider it.

Edited by Treehugger

Seeking an airframe to depict the Italian F-16ADF Ultima Diana, and had a Tamiya set aside; but, like Treehugger, I'll wait for a review of the AFV boxing and then do a cost appraisal. 

I sold the only Academy I bought, and am not about to get another unless there's a corrected inlet and other inducements.  

Tony 

39 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Given that all of the previous AFV Club 1/32 F-16s have been the Academy plastic with different decals and some resin or white metal add-ons, I’m 99.99999% sure this will be the same.

Yeah - I suspect it will be the parts from their F-16B (Academy F-16I kit with new Resin tail etc) included in a single seat kit using the Academy parts. I hope they will modify the top fuselage with the correct panels around the narrow tail. Looking forward to see what they do with it - Any release date mentioned? 

I remember getting decals from vingtor or somesuch, but I was not entirely happy with the quality (must have been 1:72 or 1:48 scale). It isn't Cartograph quality. I think I will consider either airbrushing on the rnaf "roundels", or some combination of airbrushing and decals.

Btw, I will try get this fancy new circle cutter that has this accessory which makes you able to precisely cut out a circle off a sheet, at precisely the place you want.

Edited by Treehugger

I don't mean to sound pissy, but does anyone here have some knowledge about how accurate the 1:32 F-16 Academy design/ moulds are? I should be lucky these days to find a review that takes such issues seriously. Sometimes there are kit reviews that do point out issues with accuracy re. how the kit compares to the real thing, but a lot of the times, it seems reviewers aren't trying to account for a kit's accuracy in the first place.

Edited by Treehugger

I would be inclined to get a replacement small mouth inlet (e.g. Zactomodels resin) and Aires Wheeliant or other resin wheels, particularly for greater nosewheel definition. That's me.

Others suggest rescribing the chamfered rectangular fuselage panels around the base of the shorter chord 16AM vertical stabiliser. Otherwise the Academy kit is quite nice. 

Tony 

agreed: Academy Sufa converted to MLU B

59_OJ_final.jpg

I don't remember being very complicated to get to MLU standards with that sufa. Of course it's a dual seat. But imho, starting from an academy AM like above, getting a single seat shouldn't be harder 

06_OJ_structure.jpg

Edited by red Dog