P-40N Wheels

Hello,

I have to clarify one point for my next P-40N project

I am not quite sure about the wheel size of this P-40N "Geronimo".

Normally P-40Ns have smaller tires than the previous version but some of them replaced by bigger early type wheels in the field.

It seems that Geronimo has earlier big wheels.

What do you think about this?

Thanks in advance

WW2-Picture-Photo-1943-P-40-N-Warhawk-Ge

image004.jpg

p40warhawk-WRG-0021388.jpg

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

Indeed it looks like you are right but the weight of the guys on the wing may also result in a more compressed oleo and give the feeling the wheel diameter is larger than it is.

1 hour ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Looks like P-40E/K wheels to me.

Thanks a lot for sharing your opinions , much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Tolga-

It would appear that the early batches of P-40N’s came equipped with the standard 30” P-40 wheel. They were later produced with the lighter weight 27” 8-spoked wheel in an effort to reduce weight. They also produced some with two fifty calibers removed from the wings, for a total of four. Most units in the field reinstalled them. So, it is entirely possible “Geronimo” was an early N model with the 30” wheels. You photo seems to prove this out…..

Looking forward to seeing what you do with her…….

Thor     :ph34r:

9 hours ago, bdthoresen said:

Tolga-

It would appear that the early batches of P-40N’s came equipped with the standard 30” P-40 wheel. They were later produced with the lighter weight 27” 8-spoked wheel in an effort to reduce weight. They also produced some with two fifty calibers removed from the wings, for a total of four. Most units in the field reinstalled them. So, it is entirely possible “Geronimo” was an early N model with the 30” wheels. You photo seems to prove this out…..

Looking forward to seeing what you do with her…….

Thor     :ph34r:

Thanks for your interest Thor.

Yes I have started to built this week. When it s finished I will post the pictures in RFI section

Geronimo is 42-105112, P40N-5. the wheels are 27" diameter, they appear bigger because the oleo strut are compressed.

The P40 N, 42-104829 and subsequent receive a new landing gear fitted with 27" wheel. The old and new landing gear are not interchangeable,

so the wheel cannot to be 30"

33 minutes ago, waroff said:

Geronimo is 42-105112, P40N-5. the wheels are 27" diameter, they appear bigger because the oleo strut are compressed.

The P40 N, 42-104829 and subsequent receive a new landing gear fitted with 27" wheel. The old and new landing gear are not interchangeable,

Yes I have heard this also, but not looked into it further.  A friend who is heavily involved in P-40 Rebuilds also mentioned they often use T-6 wheels as they are also correct for an 'N'.  But again I have not looked into this yet to confirm.

1 hour ago, waroff said:

Thanks Waroff.

But I still think there were some N's fitted with 30".

The following N's wheel looks like larger. And there is only a man on wingroot

P-40N_Warhawk_15th_FG_on_Mankin_Island_4 

And another one , Zotz decal instruction mentions that White 21 fitted with larger wheels.

image003.jpg 

02a.jpg