Wingnut Wings Lancaster to be released by Border Model

LSP_Kevin

I would not pay retail for one personally.  At some point these will be sold half price even if they are limited.  I do not know that I will buy one at all but not at retail.  I did like the removable wing feature though as that makes it feasible to post on a book shelf for display.  

Also if I built one I would be looking for parts to delete or minimize detailing.  For example I would not include anything that will be invisible.  If fully detailed one of these becomes an unreasonable build in that it is a two or three year project to build one.  

Edited by cbk57

not having seen the kit or knowing the detail, quality and engineering of it my gut feel is that it's way too much money for me personally. That coupled with the unknown (to me) company and the stuff about limited edition just kind of puts me off a bit.  I can see the excitement of everyone posting here and really hope they deliver what you all want. I'm sort of hoping this new kit pushes the retail prices of the HK kit downwards a bit so I can buy that but I guess if there are limited numbers produced it might not have much of an impact. Whatever my personal reaction to the value for money of this kit, it's great to continue to see new 1/32 stuff being released and especially large kits. Now if this were a radial engined Halifax I'd feel much different and pay without thinking - not sure my wife would be happy though so thank my lucky stars it's not !!!!!!!

Here's hoping we continue to see new 1/32 kits coming our way, never had we had it so good !

Hmm all these people saying they'll buy one. Wonder how many will actually get built? Most will probably become a retirement funder.

Far too expensive for a model kit. No matter what the detail level is, no kit is worth that much. Happy if you can afford it. But i'll pass thanks.

Oh boy, at the current exchange rate, 4,330 HKD is $556.35!  I will NOT be getting one of these, even the Dambuster (if it gets released) at that price.  Even at a 25% off retail, it's still over $400.  I did buy a 1/200 Trumpeter Titanic for $449 so I guess I would have to consider it at 25% off the RRP but I'll never build the Titanic so I suppose another $400+ kit is not in my future.  Eventually, the Titanic will go up for sale I suppose....

Because such announced pre-order prices are typically corrected when the release is imminent. In the best case the kit will be available in three months and you can predict some variations between the different resellers. I saw them with the HK and WnW large kits. For instance I paid my HK Lancaster at least 25% less than the announced retail price. I just took some weeks to look for the best deal when it was released.

This release, for me, completes a ‘Holy Trinity’ of kits I have wanted to see released: truly state-of-the-art versions of the Spitfire Mk1a, DeHavilland Mosquito FBVI and Lancaster B.I/III. 

I have the HK Lancaster and that will become Mk10 KB-864 ‘Sugar’s Blues’ but I will buy the Border kit and it will be R5868 ‘P-OS’. I’m lucky to have the space to display several twins and heavies in my home office so these will be added to my already built DeHavilland DH.98 FBVI and Boeing B17G ‘Thunderbird’. 

Frankly I am delighted.  This is a phenomenal time to be a modeller. I could not agree more with Alan G: one of these probably IS a 2-3 year project (based on my ‘Thunderbird’ build time). Isn’t that the point: we enjoy modelling so I don’t understand people getting upset at their own build time. For me; I am simply glad to be building. 

Best regards,

Paul

19 minutes ago, NewtonK said:

Yep, $550 will separate the men from the boys, alright. I've spent that much on models in a year, if not more, but not a single kit. But then, it does represent an awful lot of modelling time for a stunning result, so may be good value for your money.

Precisely: it is the value for money in the time and enjoyment spent building the kit whatever it may cost. 

Best regards,

Paul