Wingnut Wings Lancaster to be released by Border Model

LSP_Kevin

The only 1/24 iv'e ever seen built up is in the BBMF shop in Coningsby in its own hangar! 

Great news that the work put in by WNW has come to some sort of fruition.

My own feeling is that many of these will be sold and very few made up as its a limited release. 

That said, I will not be partaking as i'm "Lancastered out" after two! 

Edited by Phartycr0c

29 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

The existing HK Models Lanc is made in China, and even if WNW would have released it, this kit still would have been made in China, so not sure of the point.

Is it fair to say 90% of models we buy today are made in China or Asia.  I believe every WNW kit was produced in China.  I do not know where Tamiya produces their kits although I understand they are not necesarily produced in Japan.  

7 hours ago, Stokey Pete said:

Great new to see that this beauty will finally hit some shelves. 
Do I have space to display one, not in the slightest. Do I still want one, absolutely yes I do. I’m already thinking of how to wall mount one. 

Me to!! 

And the HobbyEasy price of 4,300 HKD equates to around £400, which is the same price as the HKM kit and what Wingnut were suggesting a couple of years ago. Having said that Wingnut were also wondering about issuing it with 1 engine or 4 and whether to include full interior detail from nose to tail rather than in just the easily visible areas. No doubt the HobbyEasy price is just a marker until the RRP is actually known.

Edited by SimonCornes
Bit added to original

Wingnut was planning to retail the Lanc at $399, I was told this directly when helping work their tables at the Nationals in 2019. 

How “nice” to see some price gouging when Border didn’t pay for a decade of research and design….. but in fairness to Border, perhaps this is a case of a retailer trying to get order quantities sorted early before an actual price is announced though, and just guessing at the cost?

15 minutes ago, seiran01 said:

Wingnut was planning to retail the Lanc at $399, I was told this directly when helping work their tables at the Nationals in 2019. 

How “nice” to see some price gouging when Border didn’t pay for a decade of research and design….. but in fairness to Border, perhaps this is a case of a retailer trying to get order quantities sorted early before an actual price is announced though, and just guessing at the cost?

The Sterling price for Wingnut normally equated to the USD price by the time it got to the U.K. anyway but I wonder how firm that HobbyEasy price is?!!  

I seem to remember on the WNW website Lancaster Page, they wrote that they were working hard to keep the retail price below £400  - ah well, I guess this price was to be expected somehow and honestly I just can´t seem to stop smiling that its actually being released at all.. Take my money please ;)

WNW didn’t seem to have an economic model built on caring on whether they made a profit or not, so even if they had sold the Lanc for $399, that doesn’t mean they would have made any money on it.  So, someone else selling the kit, presumably intending to make a profit like any normal model company, may not follow WNW’s pricing.  Based on the statement put out, it sounds like Border just acquired the physical molds, as is, and had to do a bunch of work to get them up to a production kit status.  Presumably they were the molds used for test shots that still needed tweaking, and on top of that they had to figure out the instructions.  I’m guessing that the molds and other information needed to produce a kit were a lot less further along than what Meng got (or had) to release the Dr.1 kits.

Not sure I understand the bit about them being limited due to “production troubles and mold maintenance issues”.  Production troubles could be COVID related, but that doesn’t seem to be making much of a dent currently in new kits being released, so not sure what that’s about.  Mold maintenance issues sounds ominous.

If the price shown at Hobbyeasy holds, it’s going to be a tough sell, at least in the US.  At $560, it’s considerably more than the HKM kit, and that kit can sometimes be found on sale for less than normal retail, not to mention that the shipping costs of the kit from Asia to the US are going to be high, unless you choose the slow boat.  At that price, which is likely to be even higher when bought from local sources, I’m not sure it’s going to be a huge seller, even in the UK.