Wingnut Wings Lancaster to be released by Border Model

LSP_Kevin

32 minutes ago, quang said:

Sooo… Max, when can we expect to read the first post of your WIP thread? :coolio:

Now that’s a very interesting question dear friend! As I was looking over the huge number of sprues, each (apart from the wings and fuselage) containing an enormous number of detailed and delicate parts, I was thinking to myself, “Where the heck do I start with this?!”. It really is quite an intimidating kit; unlike my usual modus operandi I think it’s wise to follow the instructions.

I really need to see what Bob MDC has planned for crew figures before I commit to how I plan to build her…..it seems a travesty not to display at least one of the fantastic engines so it could be a new-to-the-squadron ME453 with no weathering but all panels, perhaps a spinner or two off, maybe even the squadron code letters being painted on…..who knows? But don’t hold your breath Quang, busy time of the year!! 

Not keen on those figures, the only crew member who went onboard the Lanc with a bag in his hand was the navigator, all the rest just had their parachute packs. 

7 hours ago, mozart said:

Ditto. I know people have said this beforehand, but when the plastic is actually in your hands you can appreciate what a mind-blowing model this is. All us blokes know that size matters :coolio: but the real magic is in the detail and sheer quality of the mouldings. Un-be-lieve-a-ble! 

Indeed! This is really a crazy kit. It it is just a pity WnW did not do the last mile for The fine-tuning. The molding is amazing. I just found two annoying sink marks on O5 & O6. The clear parts are somewhat weird. when you look at them you see a kind of pebbling under the water visual effect but when you put something right under the clear parts there is no annoying distorsion! Odd effect. I have never seen that before and will try to polish the parts to improve that. Another puzzling item is the plain barrels of the guns. A pity as aftermarket will still be required. Hopefully you get plenty of spare parts and some will surely find their way to HK Lancaster boxes...! This is surely not a shake and bake kit as even if the instructions are good they're far from describing clearly all the options you can find on the sprues and give no information about what option is required for which scheme. I'm quite happy to have a huge Lancaster library as this will be useful. If you just want to get good information about such options get the Wingleader booklets. A future one will be dedicated to Lancaster internals. I would not be surprised seeing a Valiant book soon as Richard Franks already made one in the old SAM modellers datafile series. Wait and see....

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

The clear parts are somewhat weird. when you look at them you see a kind of pebbling under the water visual effect but when you put something right under the clear parts there is no annoying distorsion! Odd effect. I have never seen that before and will try to polish the parts to improve that. 

I wouldn't even attempt to do that incase you damage the part, when the canopy parts are in situ there won't be a lot of distance to what lies behind, and it's very doubtful the distortion will be noticeable. I've already had to get a replacement set, don't intend to be in that situation again.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a book or more specifically aimed at getting the best out of the kit.

51 minutes ago, vince14 said:

Got mine - in spite of the careful wrapping up of the clear parts, I had a badly cracked part on sprue C2. Have emailed Hannants for a replacement...

2022-07-05-09-36-48.jpg

Good Luck with that. I emailed them last week complaining for the first time in 250+ orders I have made with them. An order had been packed in to a box too small to hold the 2 kits and aftermarket bits and pieces and the one kit box was squashed to half its height, luckily ICM pack their kits in good boxes, the other kit box was covered in some weird substance like it had been stored wet in a dusty room, it wiped clean with an alcohol wipe but that’s not the point. One of the aftermarket sets was a Quickboost Spitfire exhaust set, all exhaust stubs had been snapped off the resin block and a few of them crushed beyond use. I even logged back in to check I hadn’t ordered stuff from their ‘damaged’ section in error before complaining. Nope. Not heard a peep from them.  Order total wasn’t exactly a small total either but that shouldn’t matter. Sent them photos too.