Wingnut Wings Lancaster to be released by Border Model

LSP_Kevin

Indeed, an amazing piece of plastic engineering and production though I'm puzzled why he's painting the structures silver (unless he intends that as a kind of "undercoat"); all the ones that I've seen and sat in have been matt black.

oGao9t.jpg

MyPQ5M.jpg

Edited by mozart

14 hours ago, mozart said:

Indeed, an amazing piece of plastic engineering and production though I'm puzzled why he's painting the structures silver (unless he intends that as a kind of "undercoat"); all the ones that I've seen and sat in have been matt black.

Lancaster turrets during WWII were not all black like the ones we're used to seeing in museums etc. 

The FN.5a front turret had aluminium painted internal brackets etc until they started painting them black late in production, I don't know exactly when but it was well after 1943.

The FN.50 mid upper turret had aluminium painted internal brackets etc until they started painting them black during production from mid 1943.

The FN.20 rear turret had aluminium painted internal brackets etc until they started painting them black during production from early 1943.

The FN120 rear turret was introduced in the 2nd half of 1943, after they were painting the internal brackets etc black.

See some examples on the downloadable sample pages here

https://www.wingleader.co.uk/shop/lancasterearlywpa5

Edited by rsanz
quote was messed up

16 hours ago, rsanz said:

Lancaster turrets during WWII were not all black like the ones we're used to seeing in museums etc. 

The FN.5a front turret had aluminium painted internal brackets etc until they started painting them black late in production, I don't know exactly when but it was well after 1943.

The FN.50 mid upper turret had aluminium painted internal brackets etc until they started painting them black during production from mid 1943.

The FN.20 rear turret had aluminium painted internal brackets etc until they started painting them black during production from early 1943.

The FN120 rear turret was introduced in the 2nd half of 1943, after they were painting the internal brackets etc black.

See some examples on the downloadable sample pages here

https://www.wingleader.co.uk/shop/lancasterearlywpa5

Phew, thank god I’m just a modeller, not an Historian, so I’ll be able to paint my turret parts blackish with tones of an aluminium undercoat without breaking out in stress induced hives.

Mines arrived, the clear parts are fine (although I can see how they could easily be damaged), I haven’t touched the rest of the kit because it’s going to be like the old 24 hour ration pack - if you open it up to get to the chewing gum, you’re never going to get it all back into the box.

5 hours ago, Smokeyforgothispassword said:

Phew, thank god I’m just a modeller, not an Historian, so I’ll be able to paint my turret parts blackish with tones of an aluminium undercoat without breaking out in stress induced hives.

Mines arrived, the clear parts are fine (although I can see how they could easily be damaged), I haven’t touched the rest of the kit because it’s going to be like the old 24 hour ration pack - if you open it up to get to the chewing gum, you’re never going to get it all back into the box.

Delighted to hear your clear parts are fine, if you just transfer the parts into the box lid to take a look at and check, you'll be fine getting them all to fit back in, I'll be keeping my clear parts, originals and replacements,  in a separate box.

The newly issued Wingleader Photo Archive book on the late production Lancasters states that those in the serial range ME295 to ME551, all assembled at Yeadon, included the long fuselage air intake on the starboard side above the wing, as seen here on "Just Jane":

TwRUB4.jpg

It's not a difficult thing to scratch build, but can anybody who has received the kit tell me if it's included please?

20 hours ago, mozart said:

It's not a difficult thing to scratch build, but can anybody who has received the kit tell me if it's included please?

No its not included. The Lancaster kit is an Early version. You would need to delete the fuselage windows along with other modifications to make it a Late.

Edited by Dave J

47 minutes ago, Dave J said:

No its not included. The Lancaster kit is an Early version. You would need to delete the fuselage windows along with other modifications to make it a Late.

Thanks Dave, bit of a bind but not insurmountable! That prompts one (perhaps more!) further question: does the kit include the options for an earlier and later (ie taller) astrodome? If not, that’s a less easily solvable question which could lead to a re-think. 

Just looked at a review and saw that it does……phew! 

Edited by mozart

3 minutes ago, BloorwestSiR said:

I believe it's in the HK kit. I can check and send you mine as I won't need it for my build. 

Carl

Thanks Carl, that would be amazingly generous of you if you have one spare, I must insist on paying for the postage though.