Wingnut Wings Lancaster to be released by Border Model

LSP_Kevin

1 hour ago, Kagemusha said:

Hannants were due to make an announcement on their site yesterday, but failed to materialise.

In the weekly newsletter from Hannants, they had a blurb about the Lancaster kit.:

Message; Regarding the Border Models (was to be Wingnut Wings Avro Lancaster) Because of the high cost of the kit there is unlikely to be much surplus stock for modellers who suddenly decide they want one. (or two!).  The kit is currently due to be released in March but it will be another month or 6 weeks before it gets to the UK. 

If you definitely, 100%, want one we strongly recommend you put one on Backorder then it will be reserved for you. And you get 10% discount. Equally if you have one on Backorder and do not want it please cancel it as soon as you can because we have to pay for all the Backorders we have so do not want to buy kits if they are not going to be wanted.

14 hours ago, LSP_Matt said:

That's a distinct possibility.

Anyone who knows muscle cars in Australia would have winged about the price of a GT Falcon or A9XTorana 20yrs ago. But now the ROI on a sale would be pretty insane. Some sell routinely for high six figure sums.

At $1100 it might end up being worth it, especially if the model made from these moulds never sees the light of day from any other manufacturer.

Matty

I used to own one of the only two factory custom built Ford XA GT’s. They were custom built for Australia’s biggest Ford dealer and his wife. I had his one.  They had all the trimmings possible including one off custom paint job. I bought it for $3000 and sold it for the same a couple of years later and thought I had done real well. Wish I kept it.  Worth a fortune now.

Back on topic Border Model have announced the Lancaster project is completed now on Facebook. 

Edited by frothingillbellows

1 hour ago, frothingillbellows said:

I used to own one of the only two factory custom built Ford XA GT’s.

oof.  Amazing to think of what they're worth now.  Life is full of sliding door moments, but especially for financial matters.

At least you did own one though. That's super cool. An iconic car. of the GT's the XA body shape and taillights are my favourite. I grew up in an XB Falcon.  Certain scenes in Mad max where he starts his XB trigger memories of sitting in the back seat watching Dad.

Matty

11 hours ago, mattcour said:

That's big money. I wonder how many kits will be sold. It had heard that WNW produced 5.000 kits per each release and still could not make it. I really doubt if this Lanc comes anywhere near five thousand. 

There will be buyers of course but I will wait until the price falls to an acceptable level, if it ever does. 

I'm sure if I were to sell off that part of my stash I'm not likely to ever build, it would fund this purchase, for the same amount of modelling time. And equal enjoyment. If not more. For less shelf space.

I've almost talked myself into buying two! And I'm an armour guy!

5000 kits worldwide... Not much really to cover the cost, particularly at full retail. Now, if they reduced their margin, then sales will go up, and so does revenue. 

12 hours ago, LSP_Matt said:

oof.  Amazing to think of what they're worth now.  Life is full of sliding door moments, but especially for financial matters.

At least you did own one though. That's super cool. An iconic car. of the GT's the XA body shape and taillights are my favourite. I grew up in an XB Falcon.  Certain scenes in Mad max where he starts his XB trigger memories of sitting in the back seat watching Dad.

Matty

I had an XB GT as well. It looked good but emasculated by all the anti pollution gear. The XA was the last of the true Ford Aussie muscle cars. Great memories of those cars as well. They needed a lot of TLC to keep in good shape. Rust was a killer for them.

Edited by frothingillbellows

I watched some of this, I respect the kit and anyone that can and wants to build it.  To me, the cost does not matter, it is so big that I know it would cost me a year or more of my modeling life to attempt this and it is just not worth the time as I am not so in love with the Lancaster that I want to devote that kind of time, I have had no interest in the HK B-17 or Lancaster’s for the same reason.  It does not reconcile to how I would like to spend my time.  I don:t think $750 or more is too much for this kit, it may be more than a lot of people are willing to spend but considering the detail and magnitude of the kit that is a very reasonable price and the dollars per hour value of what you would get out of it if you love the Lancaster or big bombers would work out very nicely.  If you passion is the Lancaster this is really not an expensive model.  Amortized over a year or two of modeling it is frankly very cheap.  

So what are they going to cost next year, 5 years from now or 10 years from now?  I think next year there will be deals, after that prices will go up until or unless it is reissued.  However to me it is also a lousy collectible as it takes up so much space and has to be cared for like the Crown Jewels as no collector wants a damaged box.   This kit though will be legendary and I don:t think will be exceeded in this subject matter.  This to me looks like not only the definitive Lancaster that will ever be seen but the definitive large scale 4 engine bomber.  I doubt we will ever see anyone again invest the time to reproduce in such detail the surface character of such a large plane.  

So often we see new versions of models anymore and a relentless march of modeling technology.  However the economics of something like this I think will prevent this effort from being replicated in any foreseeable time frame.   

Edited by cbk57

I'm not sure if I said it before on this forum? It's not a kit for me (I don't need a Lanc/B-17 etc any larger than 1/72) but I am genuinely excited for those builders who have been waiting for it, excited to see their elation at receiving it, and excited to follow along with their builds. The kit itself is a remarkable achievement.

• 2 months later...
On 2/8/2022 at 8:42 AM, Zola25 said:

Modelbau König, MBK in Germany have uploaded an in-box review (50 min) - check it out here: - It looks pretty amazing if you ask me..

I need a bigger house. :blink:

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

Looks like the Lanc is actually in stock at Lucky Model, plus they have an 18% off coupon until May 12.  

https://doc.luckymodel.com/NL220501-1248/newsletter.htm

My pre-order from October’s being packed, but won’t arrive for many months since I choose the $20 slow boat shipping.

My pre-order from September is also being packed, did originally go with the $20 shipping, but for a variety of reasons upgraded to air for an additional $60.