Wingnut Wings Lancaster to be released by Border Model

LSP_Kevin

19 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

Thanks for the links MARU. It really is a splendid looking model and ought to be the crown jewel of many modeller's collections. 

£620 is an eye watering price though :(

I don't doubt that it's worth it and as you've said in the past, quality costs but it's still a chunk of change for a static display item. 

For many there is sure to be alot of soul searching before they pull the trigger on a purchase of that magnitude for a model kit set. 

@Max, is that nose section being built by the same modeller featured recently in this thread? 

The bomb bay doors appear to have a similar streaked appearance to pics of the full model. :hmmm:

Excellent stuff all round. I hope Border sell their whole stock as a venture this bold deserves to succeed. 

Edited by viper

1 hour ago, viper said:

The price your saying is odd when your paying 459 /and 500 . I secured mine for495 

Nobody has sucured one yet, till I get my grubby mits on my pre-order I'm not getting to excited. It's all gone very quite on the legal side of this release so until I receive one I will remain pessimistic over this release. However if it does happen the bench will be immediately cleared for the big Lanc.

Regards. Andy 

9 hours ago, viper said:

The price your saying is odd when your paying 459 /and 500 . I secured mine for495 

Glad you got a good deal Viper. £495 is still alot of money but much more sensible than £620. Hopefully you'll share your build log in the In Progress forum?

The price I quoted was from the link that MARU shared. 

Are any HKM Lancasters still available? How much do they retail out at? 

7 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

Glad you got a good deal Viper. £495 is still alot of money but much more sensible than £620. Hopefully you'll share your build log in the In Progress forum?

The price I quoted was from the link that MARU shared. 

Are any HKM Lancasters still available? How much do they retail out at? 

My local shop has the HKM Dambuster version marked at $439 Cdn (£256).

The had the first release at $499 Cdn (£290).

If you want a HK 1/32 Lanc, I would be tempted to hold back until Border release theirs (assuming it goes ahead of course) as I am sure there will be a (relative) glut of HK ones dumped on the market to subsidise purchases of the Border / WNW one.

It happens with lots of kits just like happened with the Z-M  P-51 and HK  Mosquitos when modellers learnt that Tamiya were doing both subjects in the same scale.

Gary

Thanks ScoobyDoo, i thought the HK Lancs were more affordable and, @Gary Needham, that's a shrewd idea for sure:speak_cool:

On a purely metric basis, would we agree that the Border offering could be better than the HK kit in most ways? 

If that is indeed the case, how many of us would agree that it is apparently twice as good?:hmmm:

Edited by geedubelyer

18 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

Thanks ScoobyDoo, i thought the HK Lancs were more affordable and, @Gary Needham, that's a shrewd idea for sure:speak_cool:

On a purely metric basis, would we agree that the Border offering could be better than the HK kit in most ways? 

If that is indeed the case, how many of us would agree that it is apparently twice as good?:hmmm:

Building a 1/32 Lancaster will be a 'once in a lifetime' build experience for perhaps 99% (the other 1% possibly doing 2+) of those modellers who actually build it rather than simply fondling the parts and then adding the kit to the loft insulation. As such, I think those interested in the subject will want the best, even if it is almost 2 times the cost and I also rather suspect the time taken to build the WNW/Border one given the complexity and parts count will probably be double the HK one so on a £/EURO/$ per hour basis, it will probably all level out anyway.

Also, if you are doing perhaps 200+ hours of work on a kit of this size and complexity -and - have the space to then display it, who wouldn't want the very best kit available irrespective of the price...? The vast majority of modellers in this hobby if they (really) wanted this kit could liquidate a small part of their stash to cover the  accepted high cost and still hardly put a dent in it!

Gary

I may be the odd ball here (nobody said nuttin about no taigers mon) dating myself kinda oddball there but I bought the HK Lancaster at full LHS retail of 500.00 Canadian (7.50 USD’s) I bought Canadian squadron markings decals and some aftermarket and will build it this way and enjoy every minute of it (I hope) if I was so inclined I’d probably buy the Border kit as well I just don’t have that kind of love for the Lanc. I did buy 3 B-17’s and have built 2 and if space wasn’t running out I might get more of those…(oddball remember) I’m just thinking that the buyers will buy what the buyers are gonna buy and having a choice in anything is definitely better than having no kit, no choice, in this scale at least.

I hope the Border kit does very well but for me at least the HK kit will probably be my only 1/32 Lancaster 

I won’t talk about the pallet loads of spitfires and 109’s I’ve got here…

40 minutes ago, Gary Needham said:

Building a 1/32 Lancaster will be a 'once in a lifetime' build experience for perhaps 99% (the other 1% possibly doing 2+) of those modellers who actually build it rather than simply fondling the parts and then adding the kit to the loft insulation. As such, I think those interested in the subject will want the best, even if it is almost 2 times the cost and I also rather suspect the time taken to build the WNW/Border one given the complexity and parts count will probably be double the HK one so on a £/EURO/$ per hour basis, it will probably all level out anyway.

Also, if you are doing perhaps 200+ hours of work on a kit of this size and complexity -and - have the space to then display it, who wouldn't want the very best kit available irrespective of the price...? The vast majority of modellers in this hobby if they (really) wanted this kit could liquidate a small part of their stash to cover the  accepted high cost and still hardly put a dent in it!

Gary

I must be against the grain then because;

a) It's just too damn expensive. I find that paying household bills is far more important

b) It is so detailed that my skill set could not do it justice and in any case most of the detail is going to be unseen (bit like ZM kits)

c) If it is going to take ssssooooooo long to build i would just get bored and it would become an expensive paperweight on the s.o.d.

Nothing wrong if you can afford it and have the time and patience to build it. But just because it's expensive doesn't make it a must have kit. (If you don't want your obviously inferior and now 'unbuildable' HK kits then i'll gladly take them off your hands if you want to donate them ;) lol)

Edited by AlanG
lysdexia

6 minutes ago, AlanG said:

I must be against the grain then because;

a) It's just too damn expensive. I find that paying household bills is far more important

b) It is so detailed that my skill set could not do it justice and in any case most of the detail is going to be unseen (bit like ZM kits)

c) If it is going to take ssssooooooo long to build i would just get bored and it would become an expensive paperweight on the s.o.d.

Nothing wrong if you can afford it and have the time and patience to build it. But just because it's expensive doesn't make it a must have kit. (If you don't want your obviously inferior and now 'unbuildable' HK kits then i'll gladly take them off your hands if you want to donate them ;) lol)

Yeah, I will never get one, simply because of time and space.

I do have a nose kit from HKM and I will definitely build that an put a lot of effort into it.

If Border were to release a nose kit, then I would be very tempted. One per year (or every two years) for Christmas would be a nice ongoing project for my retirement.

13 hours ago, Gary Needham said:

Building a 1/32 Lancaster will be a 'once in a lifetime' build experience for perhaps 99% (the other 1% possibly doing 2+) of those modellers who actually build it rather than simply fondling the parts and then adding the kit to the loft insulation.

Gary

So what would be the % of those who will be sprue fondlers and / or roof insulators? Even savings on power bills or therapy might not justify another stash filler. Or maybe it will.

But for those who are about to build this epic beast we salute you!

Edited by Pup7309

18 hours ago, Pup7309 said:

So what would be the % of those who will be sprue fondlers and / or roof insulators? Even savings on power bills or therapy might not justify another stash filler. Or maybe it will.

But for those who are about to build this epic beast we salute you!

My best guess would be about 80%+ will never actually get built but will simply be stash queens or passed around like currency between modellers. I think I read somewhere that an estimate had it that something like 70% of all the large Monogram/Revell 1/48 4 engine heavies (B-17, 24 and 29) have never been built - and those have been around 40 years now - and are much smaller in overall size. I am as bad as the next bloke for buying these large models and envisaging how it will look when finished.

If only I had multiple houses and lifetimes to build and display them all in that I (mentally) intend to do..!

Gary

I imag

4 hours ago, Gary Needham said:

My best guess would be about 80%+ will never actually get built but will simply be stash queens or passed around like currency between modellers. I think I read somewhere that an estimate had it that something like 70% of all the large Monogram/Revell 1/48 4 engine heavies (B-17, 24 and 29) have never been built - and those have been around 40 years now - and are much smaller in overall size. I am as bad as the next bloke for buying these large models and envisaging how it will look when finished.

If only I had multiple houses and lifetimes to build and display them all in that I (mentally) intend to do..!

Gary

I imagine many kits would have never have existed if it were not for stashers. Not many of these larger awkward esoteric models would see the light of day if only those who intend to build bought them. In a way a stash subsidises the industry to manufacture a wider range of subjects that otherwise would never exist as well as making the models available to actual builders. 

Edited by frothingillbellows