14 hours ago, Collin said:

As for the F-4:

“High, a little overshooting start, fly through down on comeback in the middle, low in close to at the ramp. Fair-taxi 2”

As for your model:

”WOW”. Well done. 

Cheers

Collin

You read my mind! I was thinking of having a plaque made for it in the LSO shorthand, but I think getting a shop to engrave that would be problematic at best!  

In English for everyone else: As I mentioned in the build, every landing is graded. The Landing Signals Officer (LSO) take notes during every recovery and they use those to debrief the pilots. Problem being that it's tough to write in the midst of an actual recovery, especially with airplanes landing every 45 seconds. There's a whole team of LSOs on deck, each with an assigned job. One of them writes everything down in a gradebook--it looks a lot like Sanskrit to the uninitiated. Here's a link that describes it (About halfway down the page under "LSO shorthand" Landing Signal Officer | The Skyhawk Association

I have been tagging along but not very active here, unfortunately :/ However, I was pleased to see this one being finished. Thanks for your extensive build log showing how to get to a representative F-4B without big or expensive aftermarket items. The end result is really stunning and I'm sure it will look really cool in your display case!

On 10/6/2021 at 4:35 AM, jeroen_R90S said:

I have been tagging along but not very active here, unfortunately :/ However, I was pleased to see this one being finished. Thanks for your extensive build log showing how to get to a representative F-4B without big or expensive aftermarket items. The end result is really stunning and I'm sure it will look really cool in your display case!

Thanks--was wondering where you'd been off to!? Actually trying to work a deal to get her transferred to a new home--children of one of the squadron members.  If not, she's got a great spot atop the display cabinet

3 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Boom.

crushed it brother!

outstanding display! Love it!

cheers

Pigfighter

Thanks Pig!  It was a good warmup for the Prowler...already started working on the deck for her (incorporating lessons learned of course).

On 9/25/2021 at 2:14 PM, easixpedro said:

Almost 9 months to the day, we're done! Build log is here: 

If you remember this picture--it is the scene I wanted to recreate, but from the Kitty Hawk's 66-67 Tonkin Gulf cruise.

McDonnell_F-4B_Phantom_II_of_VF-114_landing_aboard_USS_Kitty_Hawk_(CVA-63),_circa_in_1963

Think it came out pretty well.

20210925_123748

Here's a couple more (actually tough to photograph) 

Thanks to everyone for following along and your encouragement. Hopefully I showed how easy it is to make a B out of the J kit. She's by no means perfect,  and definitely won't win any awards, but I'm happy to have recreated the scene I had in my head.

Now back to the Prowler build!

-Peter

Hot damn, that's so cool!  This is the only COOL way to have the landing gear down.  Really great job Pete, the weathering is perfect,  I love it! 

1 hour ago, JeepsGunsTanks said:

Hot damn, that's so cool!  This is the only COOL way to have the landing gear down.  Really great job Pete, the weathering is perfect,  I love it! 

Thanks man! Figured you’d enjoy it with your fathers connection to the era. Gave a talk the other day and mentioned the Clyde Lassen rescue, and VF-33 and the fact that the AMEs did their jobs so all the ejection seats functioned as they should. Cool stuff!

Peter

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/7/2021 at 9:32 PM, easixpedro said:

Thanks--was wondering where you'd been off to!? Actually trying to work a deal to get her transferred to a new home--children of one of the squadron members.  If not, she's got a great spot atop the display cabinet

If it goes through, that sounds like a good home! I once converted a 1/72 Hasegawa P-3C Orion to an EP-3B "batrack" using the (rather poor) poor Lone Star conversion and wrote an extensive review on ModellingMadness -as I had nowhere properly to put it due to it's size. I asked in the review if there would be anyone to give it a better home (not expecting any response) and was contacted several times by former crew members and maintenance personnel in the USA -shipping that thing was really, really, expensive, even without asking anything for the model itself so it's still here gathering dust :( . I did get some nice EP-3B stories out of those contacts, though :)

I haven't really been active here :( Unfortunately some real-life issues (health issues in the family, kids not having a good time at school, reorganisation at work etc) require my energy and while intellectually I know modelling would really help my put my mind away from it all I need to make some mental space first.

This weekend I'm going to a show where you can also build, so I'm bringing the Intruder and being there with like minded people building and chatting I should be able to get something done and post an update again! :)

• 2 weeks later...