Questions on building a Hasegawa FW190

Woody V

Does anyone know if you can slip the exhaust tips in after the kit is built? 

Also, seems I read somewhere that the spirals on the spinner is unit specific. Since I'm building mine as though it just rolled off the assembly line, I don't know if I should apply the spiral or not.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

The exhausts can be added after you paint the fuselage. They come in 3 parts per side  and could be added as a last step. 

can’t help on the spirals other than I never understood why they were used ie what was their purpose?  Safety of ground crews or some other reason. 

Jerry Crandall would probably know the anaswer  for sure. 

Paul 

I am not an expert but I do not believe the spiral was a factory paint item.  There are just as many pictures of them without the spiral as there are with it. 

One would think the purpose of it was safety though.  The German's didn't used colored prop tips so the spiral is an obvious visual statement the prop is turning.

The spiral prop spinner, it was hoped, would throw off the aim of bomber gunners. 

On many 109's fresh from the factory, the spinner would have a white quarter or third (often un-masked) so you could tell it was spinning.

My knowledge of 190 factory painting techniques is even more limited.

2 hours ago, Gazzas said:

The spiral prop spinner, it was hoped, would throw off the aim of bomber gunners. 

On many 109's fresh from the factory, the spinner would have a white quarter or third (often un-masked) so you could tell it was spinning.

My knowledge of 190 factory painting techniques is even more limited.

Yes, similar to the spirals used on many commercial airliners, to create an optical illusion that birds tend to avoid.

26 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

Yes, similar to the spirals used on many commercial airliners, to create an optical illusion that birds tend to avoid.

Someone told me if I put ziploc bags full of water around my doors, that it would keep the flies from coming in.:lol:

The black and white spiral spinner markings were to assist in the identification of German fighters. The spiral was to be painted black and white, turning in the same direction as the spinner.  

The directive was  officially introduced on February 10, 1944 for all fighter aircraft of Luftflotte 3 and Luftflotte Reich.  Subsequently it was to employed on all fighters,  ground attack and reconnaissance aircraft in the 'Western Area' on 20th July 1944.  Excerpt follows...

"With effect from today the recognition markings of our own aircraft in the Western Area (Germany, France and Italy) will be changed as follows.

1 (a) Fighters, including twin engine fighters, ground attack and reconnaissance aircraft are to have a black and white spiral painted on their spinners.

1 (b) All other operational aircraft, no special
recognition markings.2 (a) Captured aircraft, if flown operationally, to be marked as 1(a) above."

4 hours ago, RBrown said:

The black and white spiral spinner markings were to assist in the identification of German fighters. The spiral was to be painted black and white, turning in the same direction as the spinner.  

The directive was  officially introduced on February 10, 1944 for all fighter aircraft of Luftflotte 3 and Luftflotte Reich.  Subsequently it was to employed on all fighters,  ground attack and reconnaissance aircraft in the 'Western Area' on 20th July 1944.  Excerpt follows...

"With effect from today the recognition markings of our own aircraft in the Western Area (Germany, France and Italy) will be changed as follows.

1 (a) Fighters, including twin engine fighters, ground attack and reconnaissance aircraft are to have a black and white spiral painted on their spinners.

1 (b) All other operational aircraft, no special
recognition markings.2 (a) Captured aircraft, if flown operationally, to be marked as 1(a) above."

WINNER, WINNER chicken dinner! 

I tried Googling the question and after wading through opinion after opinion, this is the correct answer. So everyone (including myself) who thought the spiral was a safety thing giving the ground crew a visual that the engine was turning, you have been schooled.

14 hours ago, Paul2660 said:

The exhausts can be added after you paint the fuselage. They come in 3 parts per side  and could be added as a last step.

Paul 

Thanks, that's what I was hoping. I hate masking those things off.