Roden 1/32 L-19 on floats

chrish

had so much fun with the Pa-18-150....Well, this aint no Revell kit but still, it is a float plane.

The box top:

i1RdyzK.jpg

filling sink marks;

cCkPGEq.jpg

r1GCldD.jpg?1

n0sZTOt.jpg?1

since I am planning on going civil with this one, I'm removing the tail antenna.

mizv7JP.jpg?1

adding some details (just a bit) to the office

wvlbv1Y.jpg?1

Thanks for looking

oh oh oh!

I have a little soft spot with this airplane, being the last little one I flyied before passing to the heavyies...  how is the Roden kit? I dealed with some WWI ones, and they seemed to me a little crude, albeit a good start point, generally speaking.

also, about the will to do it in civil clothes, have you yet decided definetly? I mean, I used to fly the dismissed italian army ones, and they were (and are) still painted full camouflaged, sporting also a good number of military features, like the antenna bases, and underwing pilons cablages (!).

I have some of my own pictures of the wheel version and idro version, if you wish I send these by PM, or post here, let me know. or, just to have an idea of what I mean, try to google "L-19 I-EIAX".

enjoy, P.

7 hours ago, Hawkwrench said:

Nice start!!!

What are you using for the cockpit wiring?

Tim

Thanks! the wiring is land line telephone wire...remember that stuff? hahaha

I cut a ring in the insulation then strip a length, then a ring etc. to get what looks like a wiring harness with cable clamps.

6 hours ago, mc65 said:

oh oh oh!

I have a little soft spot with this airplane, being the last little one I flyied before passing to the heavyies...  how is the Roden kit? I dealed with some WWI ones, and they seemed to me a little crude, albeit a good start point, generally speaking.

also, about the will to do it in civil clothes, have you yet decided definetly? I mean, I used to fly the dismissed italian army ones, and they were (and are) still painted full camouflaged, sporting also a good number of military features, like the antenna bases, and underwing pilons cablages (!).

I have some of my own pictures of the wheel version and idro version, if you wish I send these by PM, or post here, let me know. or, just to have an idea of what I mean, try to google "L-19 I-EIAX".

enjoy, P.

Thank you!

I would have to agree with the statement "A little crude" I have had to sand and fill many of the surfaces of the kit, it looked like it was a sand casting! Cockpit detail is nice but spartan, there's actually more detail for the engine than in the cockpit!

But all griping aside, I'm happy to have a 1/32 float plane, even if it does need a bit of work to build. So much so, I bought it, cleared the bench (bumping another project) and started it all in one day!

Thanks

As for the coloring/paint scheme, I've got pictures of a few in the consideration lineup for when/ if I get that far in the build...all Canadian registered. 

Thanks for the encouragement!

The kit comes with the vertical stabilizers for the float version but, not enough room between the horizontal stabilizer and the elevators to install them. I separated the elevators at the torque tube and added a longer tube to allow fitment of the vertical stabilizers.

Before;

c3urGQc.jpg?1

after;

VuZArb6.jpg?1

pictures of the interior of the plane (I think it's the same one??) shows a pleated front seat, I decided to pleat both seats with Tamiya tape;

MTfl6Kg.jpg

Seats interior etc all ready to glue together;

L4IhpH7.jpg?1

Not strictly accurate but better (just my opinion) than what was there (seat belt harness yet to be made)

Thanks for looking

1 hour ago, bdthoresen said:

Hey Chris, lovely work so far. Having worked on a customers L-19 a few times, it holds a special place in my heart. 

A question regarding the floatplane version of the kit- does it come with the normal landing gear? 

Thanks-

Thor    :ph34r:

Thanks

Yes, the kit includes everything you'd need to put it on wheels.

Thanks for the comments!

I've went a little off the beaten path and added some "civilian" components. An ELT hopefully visible behind the rear station. and as the kit includes two D sprues each with a "map case" I added a second (not called for in the instructions)  to the rear seat side wall. The kit includes an instrument panel decal but the gauges are kind of generic pointers and numbers so, I used some Airscale instrument decals instead, much nicer.

2qcRV7q.jpg?1

puytTEQ.jpg?1

Thats it for now

Thanks for looking

Thanks for the encouragement!

OK so I got the fuselage closed up (fairly uneventful) yes, I forgot to take pictures. I also got the wing(s) glued on today and test fitted the windshield and rear window, seems to be a good fit so far. I did have to...ok. so I didn't "have" to but I chose to, replace the front and rear V braces with brass rod for a stronger more to scale appearance. 

zmunTzw.jpg

1uTKW0b.jpg

Thanks for looking