JA37 Viggen

mark31

1 hour ago, Scotsman said:

I've used the set but I've I've also managed to mess it up, It would have been a LOT easier  if the masking pieces were actually numbered rather than depending  on an increasingly stained cheat sheet , as it it goes I've got 3/5th of the scheme painted but I've stalled because it's So Dammed complex!

... and without a build thread we will presumably see it the first time under Ready For Inspection? Hopefully??

On 10/30/2021 at 9:19 PM, Treehugger said:

You haven't glued on the two pointy bits on the leading edge on the main wings (photo of primed model), is there a reason for that? Maybe easier to paint those round parts?

I would do it like that too, it's the forward radar warners and if the fit is good it's easier to paint them separately as they are a different color. :D

Good progress there Mark :)

and without a build thread we will presumably see it the first time under Ready For Inspection? Hopefully??

I think Bismarck said it best , "There are something's that are best not seen being created Laws, Sausages and Colin's Models" - seriously I have terrible cameras, a very chaotic build area and zero photographic talent , hence no pics

There will be a RFI set , at this rate sometime round Easter next year!

On 10/30/2021 at 1:45 PM, Troy Molitor said:

Looking good Mark.

thanks

On 10/30/2021 at 2:21 PM, mattcour said:

Looks so beautiful with all the primer, what an attractive design has the Viggen.

Am I wrong to see that you primed the nozzle as well? That was metallic in the previous posts, you must either have masked it or maybe thinking to re-mask and then re-paint after the body paint works?

Masking is the real fun here, I'm sure you are aware but the last few pages of the instructions include a masking guide in real scale to 1:32 and that could be quite heplful I think. I will be using the same...

yes everything in primer

imgoing toto that area later on again and better

On 10/30/2021 at 2:30 PM, IvanVasili said:

Fantastic build. The splinter camo is my favourite too but it goes without saying that the primer gives an idea how good it would look also in grey.

indeed looks great in grey

On 10/30/2021 at 3:01 PM, Zola25 said:

That looks great Mark!

How was the fit of the clear parts for you? - Any tips for separating them from their casting blocks? I have bad dreams about getting to that part..:wacko:

Thanks

Niels

take your time when removing from casting blok

i have used a small saw and then sanding

The front windscreen no problem to fit.

But the canopy needs more work

Take your time and you will get it right

On 10/30/2021 at 9:19 PM, Treehugger said:

You haven't glued on the two pointy bits on the leading edge on the main wings (photo of primed model), is there a reason for that? Maybe easier to paint those round parts?

That is what im going to do put them later on and easyer for painting for me

13 hours ago, Violator1991 said:

Excellent work !! Can't wait to see this finished in its glorius splinter camouflage !!

thanks i hope to get the first paint on this week

10 hours ago, Scotsman said:

I've used the set but I've I've also managed to mess it up, It would have been a LOT easier  if the masking pieces were actually numbered rather than depending  on an increasingly stained cheat sheet , as it it goes I've got 3/5th of the scheme painted but I've stalled because it's So Dammed complex!

yes it is very complex espacialy on the feuselage i had problems

9 hours ago, mattcour said:

... and without a build thread we will presumably see it the first time under Ready For Inspection? Hopefully

+1

Mark

15 hours ago, Scotsman said:

Just curious - How have you approached it?

Did you apply all the masks and then un-mask the areas you want to paint, and then re-apply the masks afterwards - and then on to the next color and repeat?

- or are you laying down paint and masking the individual areas off as you go? 

/Niels

Edited by Zola25

I had the bright idea of starting with the lightest colour first , Pale Green , then using the appropriate masks to protest these areas, then Brown, Dark Green and then black , the process works well on a flat surface, but on curved surfaces not so much 

With the benefit of hindsight I really should have done is what you suggested , apply all the masks at once and removing pieces as required , you live and learn I guess , but I standby my belief that these should be numbers embossed on the masks themselves and I Really should have enlarged the instruction sheets to A3 to preserve my aching eyes

There you go, it seems that confession is good for the soul!

It wasn´t really a suggestion as I was planning to do exactly as you did ;) - I just happened to dig out an old article in AIRModeller where someone had applied the entire masking sheet to the model first (1/48 scale). Just seemed like an awful lot of work.. hmmm

/Niels

Edited by Zola25

1 hour ago, Scotsman said:

I had the bright idea of starting with the lightest colour first , Pale Green , then using the appropriate masks to protest these areas, then Brown, Dark Green and then black , the process works well on a flat surface, but on curved surfaces not so much 

With the benefit of hindsight I really should have done is what you suggested , apply all the masks at once and removing pieces as required , you live and learn I guess , but I standby my belief that these should be numbers embossed on the masks themselves and I Really should have enlarged the instruction sheets to A3 to preserve my aching eyes

There you go, it seems that confession is good for the soul!

my plan whas to mask everythig but like you said on the wings no problem its the feuselage

42 minutes ago, Zola25 said:

It wasn´t really a suggestion as I was planning to do exactly as you did ;) - I just happened to dig out an old article in AIRModeller where someone had applied the entire masking sheet to the model first (1/48 scale). Just seemed like an awful lot of work.. hmmm

/Niels

it all depends on the modeller how you aproch this for painting

Iff you mask all in one time or in difrent steps it takes a lot off time.

The mask is a good idee but like scotsman said enlarge the placement gide to help you out.

Mark

My plan (when it finally arrives), is to paint individual pieces one at a time, and mask them off when dry. I’ve never had luck with removal and re-application of masking films so I only want to use the set once. I think I’ll start at the outer edges of the airframe, and work my way inwards. Tinting the paints individually too to get a random/patchy appearance throughout the process. 

1 hour ago, Stokey Pete said:

My plan (when it finally arrives), is to paint individual pieces one at a time, and mask them off when dry. I’ve never had luck with removal and re-application of masking films so I only want to use the set once. I think I’ll start at the outer edges of the airframe, and work my way inwards. Tinting the paints individually too to get a random/patchy appearance throughout the process. 

thats whats happening right now

Q5ZHpVF.jpg

Mark